cold air

BlackBart

I pulled on my windshield defroster lever so hard that it came out of the dash....Now I have cold air coming from outside directly beneath the steering wheel. Anyone have a problem like this before? By the way it is a 1981 cj7.[addsig]

Believe it or not you have discovered the "Holy Grail" of the CJ7 ventilation system. You definatley could not have found it at a worse time (depending on your location).In the summer time that setting will be your best friend, especially on those really humid days, but for now it is best left shut. On the passenger side of the vehicle between the heater box and the out side wall about 5 inches off the floor there is a cable that controls your fresh air inlet. It should have 3 positions, one is closed, two is heat, and three is crotch air ( it seems you are in this position now). If you need to run your heater put it into position 2 and all of the air that comes into the vehicle will be sent over the heater core, varied by the TEMP knob. Of course a new cable is the way to go, but this may help in the mean time.

I really hope you are not in a snowy state.[addsig]

Back