Big Electrical Problem

TJ_Jeep

Well went outside today just work around my jeep (BTW its a 98' Wrangler Sport) and i got in to start it and it was sluggish and notices the interior lights were staying on after the door shut so i thought no big deal i must of left them on so i go turn them they dont turn off so i shut it off go to the fuse panel and pull the fuse out and they stilled stayed on so i was like maybe a relay got stuck so im checking all relays i can find and the fuse for the radio under the hood blows all of a sudden so i was like WHAT! and not only the radio goes off i have no gauges no odometer and now no interior lights so im baffled at this point go replace the fuse shoots as i put it in take the radio make sure theres nothing touching put back in grab another and it shoots again so any help would be appreciated

Sounds like a frayed / broken wire somewhere. I'm not an electrical expert, but I'm guessing that it's a wire before the fuse block, so I'd poke around in the engine bay looking for exposed wires.

Sounds like a frayed / broken wire somewhere. I'm not an electrical expert, but I'm guessing that it's a wire before the fuse block, so I'd poke around in the engine bay looking for exposed wires.

ive looked every where i possibly can i was thinking there might be something exposed but what gets me is it the radio fuse from under the hood and when ive blown it before the radio only went out now its the interior, gauges (but check engine, airbag, and seatbelt etc.. still work just no gauges)

Fuse #17 (10amp) controls your instrument cluster, Data link Connector, Left and right Courtesy lamp, Underhood lamp. The circuit in question is a Pink/white wire that Maybe shorted to ground. Like Terry said, check it for any Pinched, Frayed or possibly a component short. What were you doing to the Jeep before this happened?, could it be relevant to it?

Fuse #17 (10amp) controls your instrument cluster, Data link Connector, Left and right Courtesy lamp, Underhood lamp. The circuit in question is a Pink/white wire that Maybe shorted to ground. Like Terry said, check it for any Pinched, Frayed or possibly a component short. What were you doing to the Jeep before this happened?, could it be relevant to it?

is this the on under the hood? i checked all the ones behind the glove box

Did you just install a new Radio? i saw that you mentioned something about that but it's not clear to me if that's the case.

Sounds like you might have been having bad wiring issues for a long time [referring to the hood light]. Did you disconnect the hood light at the fuse block or at the lamp?

{thinking if not at the fuse block, the wiring may be shorting out}.

Do you have an Ohm meter [or multimeter]? If you do, you can check for shorts through the harness since it is very hard to see many places where wiring is.

Also, does anyone know of a TSB or recall on that year's wiring harness?
I had a Dodge Ram that almost burned me to death because of that.
The ground wires were too small [Chrysler's ever-loving effort to thin things out] and melted the insulation - causing shorting].

Sounds like you might have been having bad wiring issues for a long time [referring to the hood light]. Did you disconnect the hood light at the fuse block or at the lamp?

{thinking if not at the fuse block, the wiring may be shorting out}.

Do you have an Ohm meter [or multimeter]? If you do, you can check for shorts through the harness since it is very hard to see many places where wiring is.

Also, does anyone know of a TSB or recall on that year's wiring harness?
I had a Dodge Ram that almost burned me to death because of that.
The ground wires were too small [Chrysler's ever-loving effort to thin things out] and melted the insulation - causing shorting].

I disconnected it at the light

Well went outside today just work around my jeep (BTW its a 98' Wrangler Sport) and i got in to start it and it was sluggish and notices the interior lights were staying on after the door shut so i thought no big deal i must of left them on so i go turn them they dont turn off so i shut it off go to the fuse panel and pull the fuse out and they stilled stayed on so i was like maybe a relay got stuck so im checking all relays i can find and the fuse for the radio under the hood blows all of a sudden so i was like WHAT! and not only the radio goes off i have no gauges no odometer and now no interior lights so im baffled at this point go replace the fuse shoots as i put it in take the radio make sure theres nothing touching put back in grab another and it shoots again so any help would be appreciated

What the hell? Everytime I see a post like this with no punctuation, I have to read it in one breath. Remember, punctuation is your friend.

Now, it seems to me like you have a short somewhere. Good luck tracing the wires.

TROUBLESHOOTING TESTS
Before beginning any tests on a vehicles electrical system use the Wiring Diagrams and study the circuit. Also refer to the Troubleshooting Wiring Problems section in this section.

TESTING FOR VOLTAGE
Connect the ground lead of a voltmeter to a known good ground Testing for Voltage
Connect the other lead of the voltmeter to the selected test point. The vehicle ignition may need to be turned ON to check voltage. Refer to the appropriate test procedure.
TESTING FOR CONTINUITY
Remove the fuse for the circuit being checked or, disconnect the battery.
Connect one lead of the ohmmeter to one side of the circuit being tested Testing for Continuity
Connect the other lead to the other end of the circuit being tested. Low or no resistance means good continuity.
TESTING FOR A SHORT TO GROUND
Remove the fuse and disconnect all items involved with the fuse.
Connect a test light or a voltmeter across the terminals of the fuse.
Starting at the fuse block, wiggle the wiring harness about six to eight inches apart and watch the voltmeter/test lamp.
If the voltmeter registers voltage or the test lamp glows, there is a short to ground in that general area of the wiring harness.
TESTING FOR A SHORT TO GROUND ON FUSES POWERING SEVERAL LOADS
Refer to the wiring diagrams and disconnect or isolate all items on the fused circuit.
Replace the blown fuse.
Supply power to the fuse by turning ON the ignition switch or re-connecting the battery.
Start connecting the items in the fuse circuit one at a time. When the fuse blows the circuit with the short to ground has been isolated.
TESTING FOR A VOLTAGE DROP
Connect the positive lead of the voltmeter to the side of the circuit closest to the battery Testing for Voltage Drop
Connect the other lead of the voltmeter to the other side of the switch or component.
Operate the item.
The voltmeter will show the difference in voltage between the two points.

Well guys i finally found it today, it was a relay for the interior, (i'm thinking) and it had gotten to hot and melted the insulation off, so i rewired it and everything is back to normal, and SteelHeadz, thanks i didnt know # 17 controlled all that, i also had the rewire some wires in the fuse box as those also had melted. Remember kids ALWAYS us fuses.

I'm Glad you found it. HIGH FIVE!!!

Thanks, when your taking the fuse panel off to get to the wires, they give you like an extra inch of wire to work with, so it was a little pain but im glad i got it fixed

Back