Pinging ("spark knock")

Crazy4diesels

Hey guys,

this is my first post here... I've been around the forum for a little while replying to posts and reading, though... Just thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone else has had this problem. I have a 2005 TJ X (so 4.0 L) and it has been pinging for some time now. I don't let it ping (I back off on the throttle and "drive by ear") but it will ping if I'm not careful with it. Sometimes it's nearly undriveable on the highway. Just like "in the old days", if the weather is cool and damp it won't ping. If it's dry, though, it will ping. Using mid grade gas USUALLY reduces the problem but not always. It ran fine on regular grade for the first year or two, though. I'm blaming the ethanol they added to the gas. Anyway, Is there a ping sensor (knock sensor) on the late 4.0?? The shop manual from Chrysler does not mention one. I see something on the block that LOOKS like it could be a ping sensor but it's not listed in the manual. It's a little black cube with a metal tab to mount it (kinda like the old GM ping sensors were). Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks guys - John

Try Checking the Distributor/oil pump Drive gear for premature wear. and also check the camshaft gear.
Edit: I've searched for a Knock sensor on the 05 TJ 4.0 as well. I didn't find any either.

Last edited:
how do I start a new post?

Welcome to Jeepz! There should be a button near the top of the list of threads that says "new post" or something similar. I might be wrong but I think you can't start a new thread until you posted a few times first.

Crazy4diesels, I would think you'd like that sound. :lol:

My 2.5 has a light knock to it....almost sounds like a little diesel. Runs perfect but is this something I should worry about? Thanks!

Try Checking the Distributor/oil pump Drive gear for premature wear. and also check the camshaft gear.
Edit: I've searched for a Knock sensor on the 05 TJ 4.0 as well. I didn't find any either.

Thank You SteelHeadz, when the weather gets a little better I'll pull off the black cover on what occupies the distributor mounting place (cam sensor) and see if I can check the shaft play. I would hope it's OK since there's only 54,000 on it. Yeah, I don't know why there is no knock sensor called out... -John

Back