exhaust leak

beto31

i have a 99 sahara and it has an exhaust leak by the headers and i was wondering if i need to reemplace them for aftermarket ones or just fix the stock ones? any suggestions are really appreciated.... thanks

Have you narrowed down the location of the leak? It could be loose or missing manifold bolts, loose collector flange, or a cracked manifold (most common).

Check and see if the leak is where the exhaust mainfold attaches to the exhaust pipe. They have had a problem cracking at the joint. Had to replace my on my 99TJ and 99XJ. Don't try and weld it is will crack again from flexing. 2 hour job and helps if you do it from a lift.

Ya how do you know where it is? I think I have one on my 94 Sahara but I cant find it. My Catalytic converter got clogged and i could hear the leak coming from the engine area but could not find it or hear it when i was parked.

same problem here, good luck finding a 4.0L that DOESN'T have a leak somewhere on the header, usually aftermarket installed properly won't leak, but like Nick said flexing will eventually twist out another leak no matter how you fix it, i just learned ot live with it, as annoying as it may be

well i been checking it but i dont see anything cracked or missing... i took it to 4 wheel parts and they check it out and told me that i had to buy the headers but i think they just said that for the business... i have the money to fix it like that but i dont want to spend it until i find the best option for me and my jeep

Back