I am Getting Locked in to My Jeep--Door Problems!

curiouskitty

Hi. I have a 1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ 2.0/4 cylinder – automatic. Problem: I am getting locked into the Jeep since I cannot open the doors from the inside. I can open the Jeep from the outside with the key only (once it is unlocked and opened, I cannot operate the handle anymore since it becomes “floppy”). The only way I can get out is by rolling the window down, putting the key into the lock and kicking the door outward! So, it is obvious that the mechanisms that control the locking/unlocking of the doors and the rolling down of the windows are worn out. My questions: 1.) where can I find a blueprint of the internal door mechanisms and; 2.) where can I buy the internal mechanisms so that I can completely change it out? I tried a particular Jeep parts website but I didn’t have much luck (unless I am not plugging in the right words into the search tool bar). Any advice or information that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

curiouskitty

Latch assembly(Right)Passenger side, Part#55074948... Latch Assembly(left) Driver Side, Part# 55074949... Still available from a Chrysler Dealer or you can try a Junkyard. also check the Linkage(Rods) and make sure they are not Binding.

I had a similar problem.Mine turned out to be the little plastic lock piece that holds the linkage into the door handle.The plastic broke and the linkage Popped out of the door handle.All i did was take the plastic lock off of the door lock linkage.No sense in locking the doors with a soft top.I would prefer someone to open the door to find nothing than to cut the top and find nothing.

I also had a similar problem. It turned out to be the locking mechanism. Worked fine from the outside but the push lock by the handle on the inside was not pushing the internals into the unlock position far enough.

Had that with my jeep too years ago. it is the little plastic piece that holds the actuator rod into the latch, unfortunatly you need to buy the whole latch.

Back