88 YJ 2.5 TBI Timming Nightmare

ThorBuilt1

Hey all,
i have a 88 yj i got from a friend. the motor has recently been rebuilt. When i got the jeep it would start cold just fine. but when it got up to operating temp if i didnt stay on the gas at stop lights it would die. to restart it i would have to pour a little gas in the throttle body...i put a new fuel pump in and it actted like the cat was clogged with lack of power lifter chatter so then i checked the timming. i have the mitchell haynes and chilton the all say something different when it comes to installing the distributor....im hoping some one else ,may have some insight on this thanks.

Thorbuilt1

Factory timing specification: Set the Crankshaft vibration damper mark on top dead center with the timing cover. make sure its on the compression stroke. if you passed the mark ,rotate it again on the compression stroke at the TDC clockwise rotation(never rotate counter clockwise when setting the timing mark)..position the oil pump gear slot slightly past 3 oclock position. preset the distributor rotor at 5 oclock so that when you lower the distributor into the hole , it should line up with the oil pump drive and the rotor should rest at 6 oclock..The firing order is 1,3,4,2.. the timing is set looking at the side of the engine, not from the front, just in case your confused with the 3,5and 6 o clock..

but doesnt that point the rotor in between the 1 and 3 on the distrubitor?...i was always told the rotor should point at the one...and on the dampner should it be at 0 when at tdc?

but doesnt that point the rotor in between the 1 and 3 on the distrubitor?...i was always told the rotor should point at the one...and on the dampner should it be at 0 when at tdc?
With the Rotor pointing @ 6 O'clock, mark the distributor housing where the #1 position is from the cap, then set the distributor to fire at number 1..

Back