Electrical Help

wrenchhead423

I am working on an 81 wrangler with the straight 6 and i am having mondo electrical issues. I have found some wiring diagrams but theyre not really helping.

Right now i have blinkers and flashers but if i turn on the headlights bam no blinkers or flashers. Also i have noticed lately the smell of something hot and sure enough the coil feels like it is about to burst into flames.

now i remember alot of the older dodges had to have a ballist resistor on the coil but im not seeing one on this truck.

any help would be appreciated.

Gregg

Pics of the Wrangler? I wasnt aware they made them in '81.

check on the driver side fender in the engine bay for the resistor. And trace the wires to the head lights and make sure the didnt cross anywhere.

there is not a resistor for the headlights.

i have the highbeam switch disconnected as well as the rear lights

there is not a resistor for the headlights.

i have the highbeam switch disconnected as well as the rear lights
I think he meant, the resistor on the coil. the Wire going to the coil from the junction block off the firewall behind the fuse box should have a splice from a heavy gauge wire to a resistor wire. check that wire for heat damage or open shorts crossing over the rest of the harness wires.

Starting at the Coil, the negative Terminal side goes to the ignition module A1 ckt. the same ckt. is where the Tach. lead is spliced to. The + Positive terminal goes to the Starter relay, this line is a Resistor wire(1.35 +,- 0.5 OHM). There's a splice on this line if you follow it, it will split into two ckts. the ckt. that goes towards the firewall is for the charging system ckt. on the Positive terminal of the Coil should also be a Filter capacitor..The other end of this capacitor is grounded to the Body..

Back