Jeep dies when any lights come on

iraq_vet_x2

Gents….this post is purely to help anyone out in the future that hits the search for the same problem I recently had.
Issue: It began with the engine starting to buck real hard and then die after I would drive it for about a mile or two. The only way I could keep it running was to keep the idle extremely high. The tachometer would give erratic readings, dropping down to zero and then back up to where it was supposed to be. Finally I figured out that it was happening when I’d hit the breaks or turn on the lights; at a standstill this would immediately kill the engine, but while moving it would impair it greatly, but not kill it. Battery didn’t check out too well so I replaced it, along with my corroded positive and negative cables (needed to be done anyway). Problem remained. Put my voltmeter on the alternator, checked out fine. I began to move to the starter when I decided I better just clean off the ground line from the block to the firewall before I do all that.
Solution: Cleaned the connection off at the fire wall side, tightened it down real good, and PRESTO! Good as new.

Back