water leak

BlueRidgeRunner

I have a problem that may seem trivial, but every time it rains or snows I get water standing on the passenger side floorboard or on the right rear floorboard. I have checked for leaks and cannot seem to find any even with the hard top installed. I am thinking that this water must be coming up from the road, but cannot find any drain plugs under the carpet. Has anyone else experienced this with an '02 TJ? The mildew and moisture is terrible.

Three possible causes that needs to be checked.
Check the door weatherstrip on the A pillar where the windshield hinge meets the door. check it for any deformed seal. this will cause water intrusions and will end up in the floorboard.

If the water accumulation occurs when the A/C is being used, check the HVAC drain for obstructions. there should also be a tube attached on that drain.

If the water accumulates when the vehicle has been sitting out in the rain or snow, remove the Windshield cowl(grill bellow the windshield) and inspect the cowl area for any accumulations of debris. make sure that the drain tube is clear of obstructions. if this tube gets plugged up, the water that goes through that grill will overflow and drain inside the fresh air intake for the HVAC housing and eventually drain down on the passenger floor.

And there should be a drain plug on the floor board when you remove the carpet.

My 05 leaked the day I drove it off the lot brand new. For a little while I tried to find the source of the leaks but soon gave up. They seemed to "move" now and then which made troubleshooting frustrating. I had leaks coming from under the dash and from the front doors by the windshield. The rug on the passenger side was wet the day I picked it up from the dealer. It must have leaked when they washed it. I decided it was way more fun to have the top and doors off and not worry about leaks. So now I have the Flow-Through design...

Ahh, yes... the Flow-Through design... How to create a self bailing vehicle. Remove all carpeting. Remove one oval drain plug in each floor pan. Any water which enters the Jeep will flow out automatically during normal operation. Hose out the Jeep as needed.:)

Best of luck - John

My 06 Rubi would do the same, leak on the passenger side. The crawl has about 6 screws on it,2 under the weather striping.On the passenger side you will see a fresh air in take. Take some silicone and seal it up and change your weather striping or make sure it is on there properly around the door.
Or just do what I did. Remove carpet, Hurculine the inside.

My 04 leaked from day one and we finally figured out what it was. On a soft top with full hard doors there is a removable plastic frame that goes around the door and attaches to the rollbar. Where that meets the metal of the body there was supposed to be a rubber seal. It was missing.

edit: just found a picture. It is called a mucket seal.
110185md-2.jpg

Hi,

I'm preparing a class action suit on Jeep roof leaks and am looking for people who have leaks in their cars or trucks.

If you have a leak, especially from around the Sunroof, please contact me ASAP. My lawyers will represent you for free.

Write me at stet (symbol for at) charter (symbol for dot) net. (Sorry, they don't let me post my email.)

And please let your friends know about the suit.

Thanks.

Back