narrow trac vs. wide trac

moose 88

i have a set of narrow trac axles from a 1979 cj7 and i have a set of wide trac axels from a 1983 cj7 does anyone know of any pros and cons of either of them. I heard that the older axels were built better does anyone have any input.

Narrow track axles usually have better lower gears, and the front dana 30 has 6 bolt lockout hubs which are much stronger than the later widetrack five bolt lockouts. They both still have 5x5.5 flanges for the tires. So yes, they are stonger, somewhat.

If you aren't afraid to get dirty, I would swap everything over from the narrows to the wides... best overall axles.

would the six bolt hubs fit right onto my wide trac axles i am wondering if i will have to modify anyting and would this be a good set up for running a small block chevy motor and 33's with 3 inch lift?

Yeah, they will fit. You'll have to swap out the hub flange and use the studs from the six bolt hubs. The other studs seem to be a little short.

When I put my 6 bolt hubs in, the lock ring would not go on the end of the axle shaft, so that was a little weird. I can't say it's safe because my Jeep is still immobile. I did drive it for a couple minutes in four wheel drive and nothing broke.

I'm thinking I didn't set the flange in hard enough. I'll be taking it all apart again soon to swap out gears, so I'll tell you if I can get the clip rings back on the end of the shaft.

Just so you don't think I'm a nutcase Jeep Axle: Dana 30 It really does work.

As far as strength, it should be just fine with the sbc. It'll be a lot stronger than the five bolt hubs anyways.

thanks for the info let me know how yours turns out. do you have any pics of it?

Back