installing new windshield frame on '94 yj, don't know what I'm doing

usafacadet09

I cracked my windshield and took it to get it replaced. The shop told me that I had too much rust in the frame, so they wouldn't be able to put in new glass. So I decided to replace the windshield frame. I found a replacement that will work, but I have no idea where to start. I've tried to see if there's anyone on the net that has swapped in a new frame and shared about it, but have had no luck. I kind of figure I can just take out the torx, remove the old frame, put in the new frame and put the torx back in. Please help me out if you can.

If you have enough rust on the frame, chances are, those torx bolts will give you grief during removal. Try using a penetrating lubricant prior to taking the torx bolts off. I use a Manual Impact Driver with the torx bit. You can purchase one from an automotive parts store.

when i did mine i broke several torx bits trying to remove them stubborn bit breaking bolts :D so i just wire brushed the paint off the bolt heads and found some good size washers with a small center hole and welded the center hole of the washer to the bolt head, and then welded around the outside of the base of the nut to the washer and removed them with no trouble at all with a rachet and socket. hope that helps ya.
oh and i just went the local hardware store and bought some allen head taper bolt's to reinstall the windsheild frame 8)

What size bolts do I need to acquire, in case I destroy the orignal ones (it sounds like I'm probably going to destoy the old bolts).
Also, are there any other tricky parts, besides trying to get the torx out?

What size bolts do I need to acquire, in case I destroy the orignal ones (it sounds like I'm probably going to destoy the old bolts).

Separating the Windshield frame from the hinges is the only tricky part. The rest of what may become of this simple job could get very ugly. We'll cross that bridge when we get there.

its not to bad of a job just time consuming better to have an extra set of hands for removal and installation, as far as bolt size i'm not sure i just took one with me to the hardware store and matched it up because the stealership said they were no longer available :evil: make sure you get a new seal that goes between the windsheild frame and the tub otherwise it will end up looking like mine did and rot the dash out as well :(
Picture0023-2.jpg

Picture0031-2.jpg

Picture004-2.jpg

Back