Tire/alignment issues

JeepsterCJ5

:???:
ok I went to my local tire shop to have my front end aligned after replacing the tie rods and adjusting sleeve. They told me there is no way to adjust the positive camber that has destroyed a brand new set of tires in 1000 miles....
can anyone give me any insight to what I can do... is there a camber adjustment?.. or maybe degree altering ball joints?

Regardless of the Model of your Jeep, there are OFFSET ball joints out there from Napa or whatever. The trick is , finding a reputable alignment shop that knows what they are doing. The BEST way to get i right, is to read the alignment specs. from the vehicle and note the amount needed for proper camber angle. from there you can look for that amount of offset balljoint to compensate for the discrepancy. I've also seen the Sleeved type balljoints that can be rotated for Camber and caster, i just dont know how much beating it can take..

If i remember correctly, it is also from NAPA autoparts. It's been years since i saw that so i don't know if they are still making those types. IMHO, it looks unsafe.

Two ways to adjust camber. Use an offset tapered insert for the upper balljoint (stock is a centered insert). Or use an offset balljoint.

Both are available from Moog, should be in the Moog catalog in most parts stores.

The tapered sleeves are as safe as the stock centered insert.

There are also tapered shims that actually sit under the spindle. My front D44 had them on one side. You might be able to Google "camber shims" or "spindle shims"...etc. I would imaging they make them for D30s also. Between the shims and the offset balljoints, you could probably dial at least 3-4 degrees of camber change..

I didn't mention the shims because I'm not sure they offer them for the d30 unit bearings. I too have seen them under d44 spindles.

I'm not positive if they have any for the Dana 30 either but there should be some floating around since Dana has made them for the 44.. the 30 is pretty much identical.. just smaller.

You may even be able to take a spindle to a machine shop and explain the situation. Any machinist should be able to produce a tapered shim for you pretty easy.

ok.. so seems NAPA carries the shims and balljoints for the Dana 30.
but I still need to get my degree measurements

Back