87 yj real bad fuel mileage

lovetank

i have an 87 yj with a new motor , i am only getting 12.6 mpg i have a 2bbl carb from a 318 dodge any help would be great

I'm assuming you have an I6. Retrofitting that with a Carb. from a V8 is reason enough why you would get poor fuel economy..

One of the Moderators, Bounty_Hunter is the guy to talk to. He knows more of what needs to be done and what you will need. Stick around.

You might be able to rebuild your Carter. I would probably start off doing that. If you can't rebuild it for some reason, Motorcraft 2100's are a very popular and easy swap.

i have an 87 yj with a new motor , i am only getting 12.6 mpg i have a 2bbl carb from a 318 dodge any help would be great

Heck, if I could routinely get 12.6 mpg outta my '03 Rubicon I'd be thrilled to the point of sexual climax! :purple:

-Phil

I wouldn't put any time or money into the stock Carter carb, I'd pick up a MotorCraft 2100 or 2150 and bolt it on using a carb adapter from Mr. Gasket. Never done it myself, only know about it from my WebWheeling adventures :D

there ain't anything wrong with the Carter BBDs; I have run them for years on 318s; the feedback versions are a PITA; dump the computer and retrofit an older (or aftermarket like MSD) tune that BBD (jets and metering rods are available) and itll be alike a whole new Jeep; better yet? Put the rest of the 318 in under that carb!

Back