about timing adjustments?

chinard

Howdy peeps...

I'm just in the process of getting ready to do my TFI conversion on my 258 and i'm just brusing up on all the ins and outs of setting my ignition timing...

I've gone out and bought a timing gun and a fresh set of spark plugs plus a gapping tool. The instructions for the TFI kit say i should re-gap forr 0.045 then set the timing.

I've got the part with advancing/retarding the ignition timing pretty much figured out (instructions say between 6 and 8 btdc) but the part thats really confusing me right now is all this crap about setting the dwell and point gap. This part is a little over my head, so i would appreaciate it if someone can explain this to me so that i have a better idea of what (if anything) i would need to adjust.[addsig]

Your Jeep doesnt have points. So you should not concern yourself with those settings. Warm the engine unhook the Advance vacuume line on distr. and plug it. then set timing to correct specs, at the correct idle.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Ugh!

Okay, i was looking under the hood tonight with a flashlight and i have a couple of small obstacles...

First, i was feeling around the bottom of the distributor looking for the cap bolt and i wasnt finding what i was expecing... Anybody know where its SUPPOSED to be on an '82 258?

As well, i had a look at the timing gauge on the crank pulley, and i wasnt seeing any numbers indicating where TDC was supposed to be. How many ticks from the timing probe socket is TDC?[addsig]

OK...sorry...this had nothing to do with your conversion...at all...but i noticed you said you have a weber carb?...well my first question is why you want to go to TFI?...is your weber bad...or do you just want the upgrade?...(btw i really hope what you mean by "TFI" is "throttle body fuel injection"...) but anyways...next question...if your weber's not bad, you DO mean throttle body fuel injection, and you are going for the upgrade...would you be willing to sell off your weber?...i've been itching to do the upgrade for quite a while but they're pricy...so anyway thanx for not overlooking this one...just wondering...later...steph

[addsig]

ROFL!!!

Sorry... I think you are thinking of TBI instead of TFI

TBI is throttle body fuel injection and thats not what i'm installing..

TFI is Thick Film Integration which is similar to GM's HEI (High Energy Ignition)

Basically what i am doing is an upgrade on the ingition coil, distributor cap and spark plugs

This link will probably explain it better than i ever could.

http://www.driveajeep.com/hei/heiinfo.htm[addsig]

The distributer bolt is a 1/2 or 9/16 bolt screwed into the engine the holds a metal bracket on the dist base. There the same for every engine with a dist. As for the timing probe I never used one but the timing #'s are just to the left of the probe hole on the same piece. They usually start at 0, 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24 and they are BTDC.[addsig]

image-missing.png
I completed your upgrade about a month ago and did NOT touch the timing (mainly because at the time I didn't have a timing light). To this date I haven't had any problems and am getting 16 MPG. Let me know if I should advance or retard my timing.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back