what brand locker?

FITZER

Seems to be a few different brands of lockers out there. Just looking for opinions on whose might be better, and why.

Also, having a hard time finding any 'canadian based' supplier and aftermarket websites.

Depends if you want a controllable locker or an automatic locker.I prefer an OX locker for the front that is cable controlled.I have not had a locker in the rear of a vehicle yet.Some people I wheel with like the ARB air lockers if you have a compressor or want to install one.

From what I've learned so far, I'm leaning towards cable. Simply because it seems simplest, least hassle, and fewer parts. The thought of having airlines running around underneith don't appeal to me. Although, cables may not be any better.(mud, rust, etc.) Pretty sure I don't want to go automatic.

If you have the money then I would go with an OX locker. Everyone I have talked to says OX lockers are indestructible...the only issues I have heard of are the cables stretching after a lot of use, and this is easy to fix just by adjusting the cable. Lockers are generally more beneficial in the rear than the front, so if you are only going to buy one I would put it in the rear. Having a locked front also creates steering issues. I personally have always ran automatic lockers in the rear of my Jeep because they are cheaper...they are still streetable as long as you drive accordingly, but for a DD a selectable locker is definitely more practical. The only lockers I would be wary of: lunchbox lockers that replace the spider gears (fine if you keep to 33" or smaller tires and a stock motor), and the Auburn Ected locker--I've heard that it often slips, not providing full lockup when it is under load and you need it most. I don't like the idea of having airlines under my Jeep either, the only reason I would choose an OX over an ARB.

There are three different type of selectable lockers out there, Air, Cable and electric. Their are pros and cons to each, Air line separation, o-ring failure inside the differential, cable seize up and cable breakage in and/or of the differential, broken electrical lines, and electrical activator malfunction inside the differential. There have been a few reports of shorting out in the E-lockers as well, but I have never seen this happen.
Each locker has its risks of breakage. Good activator line running will solve most of these issues. And good maintains will also.
I personally run dual ARB's and have for 4-5 years with no problems. I have never pulled a line while off or on road for that matter. But with every other critical part on the jeep I carry spare air line and repair fittings. And both front and rear o-ring kit just in case(never had to replace the o-rings either). Just like one of my friends carries two spare cables for his OX lockers, although you do have to open the diff cover to pull the broken end and replace the new cable.
No one in my group has an E-Locker, so I don't know the particulars of it.
The only issue I ever had with my ARB was I broke a rocker switch cover, loose pepsi can, and had to use a pen to turn it off and on (7.00$ to replace the switch cover, carry spares of them now as well).

For the money selectable lockers are the way to go if this jeep is your daily driver, especially in the rear axle. I have seen/felt the driving manners of a Detroit locker on snowy pavement before. The owner was used to it, and didn't even flinch when it locked up on him, I on the other hand didn't like this feeling and chose a ARB.

The best way to know is to ask any of your club friends who have lockers and ask them for a test drive so you can feel how they handle on and off road. How hard it feels to lock in (cable). And costs assoicated with it (Air).

detroit lockers are the best IMHO for a rear application, I also run one in the front, but I would also consider the ARB for the front for turning on tight trails.

I have a Ected in the front of my YJ and am very pleased with it. I have not had any problems with slipping. It works as a posi when not engaged and a open when in 2wd. I would like to get two more for my lj when i get to that point in it either that or a detroit in the rear and ected in front.

Awesome info guys. Thanx.

Okay. Here's my new thought. Tell me if I'm nuts! I'm now kinda thinking of a cable OX in the rear, and an auto up front. Will the auto up front affect my steering on pavement and icy roads, or should I go for a manual locker up there too?

You will find most people will recommend that you do a selectable type in the front, unless you run a hydro steer or have gorilla sized arms to turn your jeep on tight trails.

I know everybody is recommending a selectable locker up front, but let's just say you're a poor college student who is also funding a turbo project on his jeep and wanted to lock up the front. What brand auto locker is considered the most "bulletproof"? I've heard the Aussie name thrown around quite a bit and at roughly $230 I can swing that.

Regarding OX lockers, and this is only from my experience, some of the early models do not offer enough protection to the cable that comes out of the diff cover, one good hit and they shear right off. again, just my experience.

A front locker will affect your steering when 4wd is engaged, especially on icy roads. If you plan on using 4wd on the street, then I highly advise against an auto locker in the front. The Detroit locker is probably the strongest auto locker on the market, but lunchbox lockers like the Aussie and Lock Right work just fine if you don't run huge tires and a lot of hp.

33's are probably the biggest I'll go tirewise. I don't know what kind of power output I'll get out of this turbo. I'm not too worried though I'm all about finesse over power on the trails anyways.

I'm also looking into putting a switch in the dash to control the vacuum pump on my 2 piece shaft to make turning on the trails easier. Been meaning to for a while now just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I also run ARB front and rear; it's like they dont even exist on the street, and lock up 100% on the trails (unlike LS). I have never had an auto locker, but from what I have heard from others, I would also advise to stay away from that (maybe a LS up front is a better choice). As for the air lines, I have never pulled one, and they are not in any more risk than the vacuum lines that used to drive my servo for the front axle disconnect on the YJ (I already went to a solid axle, so it is not there anymore). But everyone has their own opinion, so my advise, talk to your fellow Jeepers, and see what they got and how their Jeep drives. If you like how a particualr Jeep drives and handles, go with that setup...

I have never used a locker before at all. I have drove friends jeeps off road with lockers though and love them. I just have 2 question. My first is how well do the lunch box lockers hold up. I have a stock motor and dont plan on running anything over 33's. I also dont rockcrawl or anything just like to play in the woods and mud. So would a lunch box locker be fine for me? my second question is with the ARB air lockers if i put one front and rear do i need 2 air tanks or only one. Any feed back would be great.

You would only need one air tank.The air line should be ran from the tank to a switch in the jeep.The switch is what will control the locker.Just make sure the tank and compressor is big enough to control both lockers.

Tim, if you bought two ARB's and got the ARB compressor in a package deal you can actually run them without a tank. A air tank is just a reservoir of presser if you want to fill tires or run air tools. It also helps keep the compressor from cycling on and off as you switch the arb's on and off during the day of wheeling.

Back