92 Wrangler Clutch / Transmission Question

sglab

Ok i am stumped! I am not very mechanicly inclined but i do know a little about things and i can stumble throught them with the Hayes Manual. Here is my problem. I bought a 92 wrangler, ran fine for two weeks then for some reason it would not go into gear! It would go into gear when the motor was not running so this lead me to belive it was the slave cylinder. So i replaced the slave cylinder, master cylinder and clutch. Figured i would just do it all and have it over with! Jeep ran fine for a week! Took it up to the mountians and did some minor driving up and down the mountians, nothing major! All of the sudden no clutch agian! I had to drive it home 120 miles with no clutch! When i get off of the exit ramp it goes right into gear and the clutch comes back???? Then agian this am, nothing? Please help!!!!!!

i have this problem too. i just bought a 00 TJ and i test drove it and drove 60 miles home at 80 mph. I then drove it around town and the gears got a little hard to get out then at the red light it stuck in second and would not release. I had to roll back down into a parking lot. the pedal was impossible to push down. after it died i killed it two or three times, i was just going to drive it home in second. then, the problem went away and it shifted normal. it did it again today. it stuck in second for a little bit then released and went fine. there is minor grindin noise when i release the clutch but nothing major. i do the mechanical work i think but dont really know where to start? it does have fluid in the resevoir.

Last edited:

There are several possibilities that may cause an intermittent shifting concerns, Clutch/ slave cylinder, binding on the t.out bearing sleeve or a defective clutch release plate. Does the pedal feel any different when the problem occurs?..

yes when it sticks in gear you can not push the pedal down. it stops half way and you can feel kind of a vibration. the throw out bearing makes some noise but not much. when i bought it, it had been stored over winter and i drove it home down the interstate. im thinkin i burnt the grease out of the t/o bearing, cause it shifted fine when i just test drove it around and still shifts fine when the problem isnt there.

So just to update.... I orgionally replaced the fly wheel, slave cylinder, master cylinder and clutch. As stated above ran fine, and then nothing. Then the following day everything is fine. So i pulled in a favor and had a friend look at it. He was stumped, so we replaced the throw out bearing just to be safe, and it has been running fine for the last week or so. Keep your fingers crossed! This has been my first wrangler, other then this issue I LOVE THIS JEEP! Man this thing is fun when it is running! I was a crotch rocket, import tuner, i am offically a convert! I find my self looking through the quadra tec catalog everyday trying to figure out what i can blow money on next! I really like the looks of those AEV kits! I may need to find a cheap 97 and start another project!!!

yes when it sticks in gear you can not push the pedal down. it stops half way and you can feel kind of a vibration. the throw out bearing makes some noise but not much. when i bought it, it had been stored over winter and i drove it home down the interstate. im thinkin i burnt the grease out of the t/o bearing, cause it shifted fine when i just test drove it around and still shifts fine when the problem isnt there.

I would pull the trans. and inspect the t.out bearing and the sleeve. It sounds like there's something on the sleeve thats causing the t.out bearing to bind or it could be as simple as cleaning it out and applying grease on the sleeve.

dang that stinks. what are you doin later steel? about 3:00? lol seriously it does sound mechanical though right? if you get air in the lines or something the pedal will go to the floor i think. i found a trans jack for 50 im goin to buy and prob start this evening.

dang that stinks. what are you doin later steel? about 3:00? lol seriously it does sound mechanical though right? if you get air in the lines or something the pedal will go to the floor i think. i found a trans jack for 50 im goin to buy and prob start this evening.

LOL, i wouldn't mind helping y'a out there bud, but but dang, your just a tad way's out there. The pedal will feel like there's nothing behind it if it's loosing pressure inline. You stated that it feels like it's getting stuck halfway , this indicates that the clutch master and slave is working.

alright well i guess i will change the t/o bearing this evening and grease the sleeve. sglab said that fixed his prob. thanks steel. ill post what happens

any tricks to gettin the trans out? iv got all the bolts out and i know it needs to be in line but this thing is stuck. i had to take a break and going to see if anyone had done this and new a trick. my next step is to put a come along on it!

Stuck?, did you remove the shifter assembly?, lower the tail of the trans/t.case to clear the tunnel access shifter hole and carefully slide it back. You might also have to have a support on the crankshaft damper pulley to keep the engine at a tilt. also keep in mind that the radiator fan shroud might get caught up with the radiator fan so be careful when you tilt the engine back.

finally got it. those sorry suckers at chrysler put a bolt on the dust cover you cant see above the dust cover. lol the grease on the throwout bearing was toast. hoping thats it. anyway the clutch had a lifetime warranty and it will be in wed. thanks steel

Run a fine steel wool on the t.out bearing sleeve and make sure it's nice and smooth before you apply the new grease.

A hi-temp grease will do better since it does get pretty hot in there.

Back