trans fluid need advice on 2001 wrangler engine

parosenb81

newbie here,

I am looking at buying a 2001 Wrangler Sport 4.0 Auto. 89k miles

I know the person and it was mainly his wife's car the most off roading it seen was when we get 10 inches of snow in Indiana. However I also know he changed oil using Mobile1 Syn ever 4-6k miles since it had 25k miles. The issue is I know that is all he does he is thick headed on other maint stuff

it never had trans drained or flushed no belts changed. I told him I would buy it pending a inspection at jeep which I would pay for. This is going to happen this Saturday morning. I have enough mechanic friends and am not afraid to do stuff my self so I am not paying jeep to do the crazy 800-900 90k mile service what what should I be worried about anyone here not changed their trans fluid before 90k?

If the fluid smells burnt and is no longer red in color, it's overdue for a conventional fluid and filter change. Slipping and erratic shift is a sign of a deteriorated fuid. Harsh shifts is an indication of a dirty filter and could deprive the accumulators of sufficient fluid pressure from buffering the shift changes. If i were you, i would change the fluid ,filter and gasket, drive it for another 6,000 miles then do it again to make sure that the old fluid that was left behind along with the particles are pushed out from the converter. If everything is peachy, just follow the maintainance schedule on the owners manual. Welcome to Jeepz. BTW, you will need 5 Qts of ATF+4 on a conventional fluid change as opposed to 3 gal. on a transmission flush.

Thanks for the reply, I will reply after inspection I am sure I will have questions. If the fluid is in really bad shape and it shows signs of damage I will look for a different jeep

Back