98' TJ high idle

jlynn33

Replaced throttlebody, replaced idle air control valve, tried a new throttle position sensor first but did not disconnect battery. What next?:???:

Sounds dumb,but did you make sure your pedal is not hanging up on something.Happened to me,a loose wire dropped down some and was hanging up the pedal from returning to idle position.

Before I put on the new throttlebody I could put it in park and rap the throttle to get it back to idling normally but can't do that now. So no, I do not think it is a wire around the pedal but I will check today. Thanks.

Why did you replace the throttle body?

Did you replace it with a used TB? Did you make sure the IAC housing is clean, as well as the rest of the TB?

One thing to consider also, is to disconnect the throttle cable from the throttle body. start the engine and manually actuate the throttle by hand and see if the idle still hangs up. if it doesn't, the issue would be on the cable or the pedal. If it does, the issue would be on the T.body housing components.

I replaced my original throttlebody (which is a modified that had been bored out to 62mm) on the advice of a mechanic I took it to after trying the tps switch and cleaning my existing iac did no good. He thought it was worn out because it would not close with the cable off but you could manual close it. I put on a new bbk 62mm.

I would check to make sure the IAC housing is attached tightly and is clean on the inside where the plunger seats in the housing.

Otherwise I would do as SteelHeadz recommended and disconnect the throttle linkage, then open the throttle plate by hand and make sure it closes smoothly.

Definitely cleaned out iac housing when attached to new throttlebody (used brake cleaner and ragged it). Checked for vacum leak with brake cleaner....nada. Throwing DTC now of P0108. Why a map sensor code now?

I thought I read after you install a larger TB you have to cycle the computer like 50 times to adjust to the new TB.I could be wrong ,but remember some one posting that.

Cleaned out DTC and still idling at 1050 when warm but much better. Drove it around and it SEEMS ok but still think it should idle at 900 like it use to. Any thoughts?

Have you replaced the MAP sensor?

I would reset the computer.
Disconnect every pos. and neg. connection at the battery.
Hold pos. and neg. battery terminals together for 30sec.
Reconnect battery.
Turn key to run (not start).
Turn headlights on and then back off.
Turn key off.

Have you replaced the MAP sensor?

I would reset the computer.
Disconnect every pos. and neg. connection at the battery.
Hold pos. and neg. battery terminals together for 30sec.
Reconnect battery.
Turn key to run (not start).
Turn headlights on and then back off.
Turn key off.

I understand touching the battery terminals together to discharge any capacitors.What does turning the key to the on position then turning on the headlights do?

I've got no idea, and I've had my doubts about it as well, but that's what I've read several times so I thought I'd pass it along.

Back