How are you supposed to take an '89 wrangler out of 4wd?

19wrangler89

How are you supposed to take an '89 wrangler out of 4wd? I was told to put it into 2 hi and then drive backwards for a ways, but my 4wd light on my dash doesn't go out?

Am I doing something wrong?
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

YJs are shift-on-the-fly, so you shouldn't have to put it into reverse. Normally, just push the shifter forward to 2HI (you may have to pull the shift lever to the left, then push it forward). Low fluid level will cause hard shifting. Also, if you have a body lift, the shift lever may be hitting the tub and not going forward far enough.[addsig]

I´ve usually had pretty good luck by driving it forward aways, then stopping, shifting to reverse and letting the clutch out just till she grabs a couple of times. If that didin´t work, shifting from low to reverse, just till the clutch grabs a bit. Trying to wiggle the drivetrain a bit. Sometimes shifting in and out of four wheel also helps. It seems the more you use it, the better it works.

It could be more involved, like youir shift motor is sticking, the vacumn lines to the shift motor are chaffed or rotting. Or maybe the light switch is just stuck.

Like joker says it´s supposed to shift while going forward at a moderate speed, but sometimes things get a little sticky when they havn´t been used for awhile.[addsig]

i find that varying the throttle (accelerating, decelerating) tends to kick mine in and out of 4wd... and so does driving in tight circles (not on the pavement!)[addsig]

you mean you actually use 2wd???
image-missing.png
[addsig]

My 4wd light seems to stay on for a while after I shift back into 2wd but I know that is in 2wd so I just live with the light until it goes out.[addsig]

My light stays on for little bit until the solenoid moves over for the light to go out, its in 2wd, but the actuator for the light is a little sticky, esp. in cold weather. If your light is on all the time, check your lines going to the front axle. On the older wranglers they had a vacuum line that ran back to the dash to light up the little 4WD light. A quick peek under there and you should be able to tell if it is working properly. If you are still not sure, start the motor and have a friend shift it in and out of 4WD, you should be able to hear/feel the vaucum working to engage the shift fork.

Hope that helps-[addsig]

my four wheel drive light stays on all of the time. except this one time it went out and thats when my four wheel drive stopped working but there was an unconnected vacuum hose and when i plugged it back in they both worked again. and my four wheel drive light stays on all the time. 2wd or 4wd, it is always on.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I have an 88 and the light never comes on but It does go into 4wd. It is the solenoid sticking or bad. You can tell when it is and isn't in 4wd. So unless the light bothers you by a new solenoid or better yet get a posi lock.[addsig]

the light doesnt bother me but everytime some one gets in my jeep they say "your 4wd is on" and it gets annoying after awhile.[addsig]

Back