diff fluid? with arbs

how fast do you drive it jfra? mine seems to only do it at interstate speeds. 70-80. mine has 4.10s and a super 35. how hard./easy is it to adjust rear pinion. im not sure if mine is or not?

I drive 65 mph typically (70 at most, but not that often; anything faster on a Jeep and I get scared!). I had my ring and pinion done for me, as it's not so simple and you do need some specialized tools to do it. By the way, I also have a Super 35.

mine has a slight wine. dont really remember it doing that before i replaced the pinion seal. possible i didnt get the preload right but i marked it and lined it up. that may be whats causing it to get hot and puke fluid. either way i think im going to put another vent in. cant hurt right?

i took the diff cover off and there are absolutley no metal shavings. so its probably the pinion bearing whining and getting the fluid hot right? i am going to try and loosen the pinion nut just a hair and change fluid agian

on the Dana 35's, lift the rear end up( tires off the ground) and re-tighten the pinion nut till you get 15 ft lbs of turning resistance on the pinion nut, to get the right preload on the pinion bearings, some where around 200 ftlbs of torque.
That is where you set the crush sleeve at initial set-up.

hey guys...i might have an answer to the diff fluid, but you prob already have it. i have an arb locker and needed fluid.. i got a sheet from arb that tells you different conditions and temp ranges and what to use.

for high temp/desert use (temp range -22 to 212 ) it says use shell S 80W-140 or mobil SHC 75W-90..

let me know if it helps or if you want the other temps ranges

Back