Oversized spare tire carrier.

Man, after reading a billion posts on every forum known I decided I had to get a swing away tire carrier. All I knew is that I didn not want to spend a ton of cash and I wanted it to look bad ass. This is what I came up with. I can't post a link yet, but it's at 4wheelingplus.com. Look in the offroad store under yj's. It's the trailgear bumper/tire carrier.

This is the site I got it from too. Just research around on forums, type in this bumper and see what you come up with. Came shipped to my door $313. I really like this bumper. The installation was decent, and they forgot a few bolts here and there, but for $313 you can't ask for much more. The guy that runs the place is really cool too. He would have shipped me out what I needed rigt away, but I said screw it.

Hope that gives ya another option. Cheers!

NOTHING seems to be working guys...........:x

I purchased the Ridge Runner bracket it pushes the tire way far away from the gate. It looks like it will bend the gate immediately.

I purchsed the Tera-Flex 3rd brake light extender it doesnt clear the 33" tire.

I tried to mount the tire on the stock spare tire carrier. I can mount it but I cant close the tailgate as the tire sits 1"-2" below the bumper.

HELP
:shades:
Rugged Ridge (part #11585.01) will move the tire up and out 2". The tailgate can easily handle a 33" tire as long as the tire bumpstops actually make contact with the spare tire. UHMW (a plastic that is tough as nails, easily cut and drilled) works well for making spacers. It is also very affordable and can be gotten in various colors. It is also much easier to work with than poly. Longer bolts will be needed for this inexpensive fix. The 3rd brake light fix is actually cheap and looks great as well. Most truckstops and auto parts stores carry 2" round 3 pin red LED marker lamps that come with the rubber grommet that mounts them. Cost is somewhere around $15. Before your tire mount gets mounted, snug up a wheel (any wheel) to the mount, trace the center hole of the wheel on the mount with some kind of marker, ( i use a paint pen, it can be washed off later!) remove the wheel, cross section the circle left behind to find its center, and bore the hole to fit the grommet. This trick just put your 3rd brake light in the center of the spare tire, is rubber mounted, easily replaced, looks great and is cheap! Wiring is simple, either cut the harness to your factory light and splice the two wires into the new light (white=hot, black=ground) or simply remove the cover from the hinge side inside of the tail gate to reveal the two female pin connectors and unplug them. Rewire from the connectors leaves your factory light intact, which may prove valuable to other jeep owners. Hope this helps.

hey i have a yj with 35in tires on the rear door still you have to lift the door to shut it but so fare so good... i would not trust it for to much off roading but for daily driving its not that bad i am going to buy a tire carrie soon.. and the tire is about 150lbs

Back