Brand new at this

mrhc

Hello, I recently became the owner of a 1979 cj7 and have lots of work to do on it. Just wondering how to get started, where to get the best deals on parts, and I would really like to find a soft top that is blue. I would appreciate all the help I can get.:???:

Internet searches are a good place to start.If you find a site that you are unsure about make a post to have others look at it to get other opinions on it.As far as blue soft top,I have never seen one,but am think you can get them dyed.Sounds like a custom thing that may cost more.

Welcome to the "Z"!!!!

I agree with Tony, good luck on the blue soft top. I know they're made in white, so perhaps, as he suggested, you could get one dyed, but you're probably talkin' $$$$$$$. As for the best deal on parts and what not, you're at the right spot. I might suggest a query here as the need arises. Quadratec is a good place to start, but they're awful proud of some of their stuff. There's tons of places - you have just acquired a VERY adaptable, customizable vehicle!!! Welcome to the addiction!!!!

Perhaps you could tell us a little about your Jeep.
1) Are there any mods to it already?
2) Is there anything obviosly wrong with it, (mechanical or otherwise)?
3) and most importantly, what type of terain do you expect to be on mostly? (street, rock, mud, light trails etc.)

Good luck and welcome.

Welcome to Jeepz..X2 on Mud's comment,"Welcome to the Addiction". If you could find an uphosltery shop that's as good as the one i have here, you wouldn't have any problems getting a custom blue soft top made for your rig. A custom halftop sailcloth bikini top cost me a 6pack of beer.

Jeep offered a blue soft top with one of the Levi packages. Bestop use to offer a blue replacement top as a special order item, meaning when it's ordered they will build it and then I think only as a skin to use with the original hardware. Try www.bestop.com I would try to call them as it probably in not a clickable item on the web page.

Just for the record, Bestop did not make a top in pure white. They did have a cream color one for YJs at one time. However, Whitco in the 1970s use to make a pure white top for the CJ5; talk about a nightmare to try and keep clean…..

For parts try these:

http://www.4wd.com/

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Jeep-Parts/10108.jcw

http://www.willysoverland.com/

Of course, there are many other but this will get you started.

Remember, when it comes to building or rebuilding a Jeep it is a labor of love not an investment.

Last edited:
No mods. Its been sitting in a barn for the past five years. We weren't even sure it would run. All it took was a new solenoid and a new battery and it fired right up. Of course all the seals are leaking, the hoses are cracking and the transmission needs work but hey, it runs. It will mostly be a road vehicle except for the times we go muddin'. Red Ms clay mud! My husband will also take it hunting.

Attachments

• IMG_1320.JPG
    IMG_1320.JPG
    375.7 KB · Views: 112
No mods. Its been sitting in a barn for the past five years. We weren't even sure it would run. All it took was a new solenoid and a new battery and it fired right up. Of course all the seals are leaking, the hoses are cracking and the transmission needs work but hey, it runs. It will mostly be a road vehicle except for the times we go muddin'. Red Ms clay mud! My husband will also take it hunting.

Looks like a fine specimen to me!

X2, looks like mostly surface rust. That old school winch will look nice as well when its restored. What does your Husband hunt? and where does he go hunting?

Remember, when it comes to building or rebuilding a Jeep it is a labor of love not an investment.

These words of wisdom are quotable!!

X2 Walcks 4wd
I have blue half doors, but they are for 75 CJ
Welcome to the forum, and good luck to ya!

He hunts just about anything that walks in the woods or flys! His favorite is turkey. He mostly hunts in NE Mississippi but has been out west to an indian res. for turkeys.

Back