YJ Body Lift and Tire Advice

EricUYJ

Hey everyone! I have a bonestock 1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ Sahara with 4.0L L6 and Auto transmission. I'm a drag racer thats getting into off roading :D I was thinking about going with a Black Diamond 2" Body lift with 31X10.5R15LT. What do ya'll think about this combo?

I would not go more than 1" in Body Lift; it puts too much stress on the bolts, and it can be dangerous if you get in to an accident. I ran 31's with no lift for a while (with some flare rubbing during street driving), but I dont recommend it (even less if you plan to offroad). Suspension lifts for YJ's are not that expensive or difficult to isntall (my wife and I did mine in less than one day), so I would go for a 2.5" suspension lift instead of the body lift, but if your suspension is in good condition, and you dont plan to offroad, a 1" BL should be enough to clear 31's.

If I were to do a YJ again, I would go add a leaf 2" and build my own sturdy shackles adding about 1/2 to an inch more. And after you put some tires under it, lockers will do more for you than just about anything else. :twisted: Anything over about 2.5 or so on suspension and you'll have to adjust U-joint angles by spacers on your TC cross member

In my opinion, whatever that's worth, I don't like to go over one inch with a body lift. The only reason I did a ONE inch lift on mine was for a little rubbing I had and I needed to attach my swing away tire carrier bumper to the frame...don't ask. When you lift just the body without anything else you run into other problems. Shifters don't come through the floor where they use to, engines are lower under the hood than where they use to be, but the radiator's not. Now your fan shroud doesn't match up, your shocks will be too short, and on and on. All you need is two inches and you'll be fine. Like HiHood said, you can get an add-a-leaf from black diamond for around $300 and that'll get you the extended shocks you'll need too.

Back