opinions

ODAX

hey all , new to the site and a new jeep owner. have owned 4xs' for years . used for both work and daily driver. have never needed anything but stock , even farming we used what we had and made do. just bought a 89 yj and am looking to build a jeep that would be a dsily driver and a weekend warrior. with the help from you guys and my 15yr.son . (he has big ideas , no $$$ ) not that i do, so here goes.89 yj stock,4.2,5 speed . thinking about a 4"procomp susp. 33 12.20 15. .will i or should i put longer brake lines and change pitman arm. how will this lift affect my drive shaft? will i have to modify it in any way? also will i have any tire rub ? not ready to do a body lift yet. have read. any comments would be wel......scratch that . any suggestionsor better ideas. must say this is one of the best and most informative sites i have seen , seem to be a lot of knowledgeable folks here.

thanks a bunch......odax
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Hey ODAX,

I have a 95"YJ with the same setup you are describing. I don't post much on this site but I usually read it daily. You will find a great deal of people dislike "Procomp" products but I am very happy with my 4" Procomp lift. In addition to the lift I had to get extended brake lines and a dropped pitman. I can't afford the SYE and CV shaft yet so I went with the dropped (inexpensive) transfer case until I can continue the upgrade. Again, I think the Procomp package is great but sadly I believe I hold the minority opinion.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

thanks mango. have been doing a lot of reading and think the procomp is the way to go . as far as the stiff ride i think the springs will hold up better plus with any add on's you will add weight , winch, winch mount etc. not to mention gear for a safe and fun outing. can be persuaded to go with another lift but have not heard a good argument yet . but i will listen to all........thanks again
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I've seen ProComp 4" spring lifts on the trail, those springs simply don't flex. The jeeps that have them don't perform well for this reason. The lack of flex is why most who own them complain of the REALLY stiff ride. I can't think of a reason TO get these springs. There are a lot better out there, that will hold up to accessories.

If you want 33" tires with the 4" spring lift, I'd look at installing a 1" body lift or TJ fender flares (I did both) to keep the tires from rubbing. If you get the ProComp, don't worry about the rubbing because the springs won't move enough to let the tires get near the fenders
image-missing.png

Congrats on getting a Jeep, enjoy
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Procrap suspensions are just that. Nothing they have put out yet

is worth taking over other companies products. If your looking

for just to replace yours and lift, get the rubicon express springs.

These are jeep people that build daily driver off road rigs.

Their suspension products are of the highest quality and they

stand behind everything they sell. They also sell shackles and

brake lines.[addsig]

hey this is ODAX's 15 yr old son he mentioned earlier and we have decided on a 4" skyjacker with 33/12.50 BF GOODRICH All-Terrains
image-missing.png
[addsig]

ok, went to charlotte today and ordered a 4"skyjacker lift and bfg all terrain 33 12.50 15 went with the intention of getting a procomp lift. after talking to chris and paul at 4 wheel parts and covering all the bases and all my options they recomended the skyjacker. all parts should be in end of the week. thanks for the comments and suggestions. every bit helps. now, since the easy part is done what are my options for the driveline?it is a broad question but seems to be a important one. also want to modify the roolcage , dont think much of it being boltedto the windshield, what's up with that? any links to someone that has done this modification?

odax...
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Whats up ODAX...I have a 95YJ and I put the 4" skyjacker lift on it with 31 x 10.50 R15. I like the lift but I have heard reports of skyjacker springs sagging after a while. However the flex is great! Some tips...you WILL need to lower your transfer case skidplate...so plan on getting the kit or making it yourself (not hard). If you have the money get a Slip Yoke Eliminator kit and a CV driveshaft. Brake lines might be an issue...mine are a little short and I should lengthen them but they are ok for now. With the 33x12.50R15 tires you are getting you might get a little rub in the back under flex...may want to put a 1inch body lift like bounty suggested or put TJ flares on. Here are some pictures of my YJ with the 4inch skyjacker kit and 31's. You can see my homemade Tcase kit in some of them. http://rayovac.jeepz.com[addsig]

I hope the 4" lift is better than their 6" Rock Ready lift. It sags big time at the eyes on the shackle ends. Dumped it for a Full Traction.[addsig]

Hey odax, i have an 89 yj with a 4.2 and 5 speed. I'm looking for a suspension system. After you put the lift on, tell me how it works out because i'm looking for about 3-4" lift. I put a 1"bodylift on, it's amasing how much better jjust 1"makes it look. Hit me back!

p.s. Check out my jeep! http://www.cardomain.com/id/19wrangler89[addsig]

wow, nice jeeps you guys. old saying "YOU CANT TEAR UP A ANVIL" you can . dont know if it was the right choice but time will tell. if something works ,i always want to make it better. so, i can see in the future upgradeing this setup . it's human nature to not be satisfied with something for a long period of time. sooooo, i will play with this then pass it to my son or my better half , then try something totally different.all i have done in the two weeks i have owned this jeep is replace water pump and allnew steering components . i understand that jeeps have a nasty habit of letting you know they are not happy. i am ready , ........i think.........odax
image-missing.png

p.s. will keep posted about the skyjacker lift..

livin and livin well......
image-missing.png
[addsig]

ok, the suspence is killing me slip yoke eliminator &cv drive shaft? i'm all ears.......odax
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Ok ODAX here is the scoop. Wranglers have a big problem with the rear driveshaft. The main deal is its very short. (Take a look at it sometime...pretty short) Anyway when you do a suspension lift it makes more height difference between the transfer case output and the rear axle pinion. Since regular single ujoints were not made to run at that kind of angle you have to either

a) lower the transfercase to help the angle

b) convert the driveshaft to a CV (aka constant velocity) double cardan driveshaft. This requires a Slip yoke eliminator kit for the transfer case.

Option A is pretty simple and cheap but its not always the best solution...under extreme flex the driveshaft angle can actually become so severe that it binds and breaks...sometimes taking the tcase and/or rear pinion with it. Option B is more involved (requires disassembly of the tcase) and more expensive. The NP231 transfer case uses a "slip yoke" on the rear output of the case. This allows the driveshaft lenght to change under different conditions. This is bad when you lift and wheel because a) it makes the transfer case longer and driveshaft shorter and b) if your driveshaft breaks the slip yoke will come out and all the fluid will come out of your transfercase...which means that it makes it hard to limp home in 4wd (front only) and keep fluid in the case. The SYE seals up the case and converts it to a flange or strap yoke output. It also shortens the case up a bit so the driveshaft can be longer. The slip yoke is usually moved to the center of the shaft....and works like the front driveshaft. This option will cost around $600 depending on where you buy it all...may be less or more.[addsig]

ok, i understand now. JEEP........just empty every pocket...

thanks rayovac..........odax
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back