Passenger Seat Pull Tab

tjric

Hello again jeepers,
Once again I cannot seem to solve my issue on my own.I have an '02 TJ X and the pull tab that moves the passenger seat for access to the rear seat broke. I know this is not really an issue but it bugs me and I would like to fix it. Has anyone else ever replaced this thing? How did you do it? Any trade secrets?

Any one who could either advise a reasonable way to replace it or at least explain how the mechanism works so I can figure it out would be helpful.

Thank you everyone for your time and wisdom and I look forward to hearing what yall have done in the past regarding this issue.

It's actuated by means of a cable inside the seat. The best way to diagnose this is to partially remove the upholstery half way up to locate the cable. After the cable is made visible, see if the bottom end of the cable responds to the input from the release lever.If not. the break would be between the cable and the lever , if it does, the problem would be on the lower frame of the seat.
To remove the Seat upholstery, look for the plastic pieces attached to the uphol;stery on the very bottom of the back front seat. The two plastic pieces are clasped together.

Steelheadz I appreciate the info but luckily it is not the diagnosis that is the issue. The pull tab itself that sticks out of the seat broke, the mechanism works fine. In theory it should just be a matter of fishing a piece of cloth through the hole but we all know how bad simple projects can get. Do you think I still need to pull the upholstery to get this done?

Just pull the seat out, its 4 torx screws...55 I think. if its the bottom cable its a 52$ fix. I had the same problem and the bottom cable was broken that unlatches the seat frame and allows it to slide forward. It was a lot easier to just remove the seat and replace the cable from there.

Back