98 Jeep Wrangler Cluster Gauge Issues

my98jeep1970

Hello, I'm a first time user. I have a 98 Jeep and having intermittent Gauge issues. Was told to replace the Cluster Connector. I bought the Cluster Connector part # 05016261AA and need some guidance or instructions on how to proceed. Im trying to avoid taking it in to the dealer. They wanted $135 to do the work. I think I can do it just need a little help... Thanks~

I have not replaced my connector at all but I may be able to help get you too the back of the cluster.Start off by removing the top piece of the dash,closet to the windshield.It only clips in.Then remove the one screw on top behind the tray remove ash tray and take out the screw behind the ash tray.Now the whole center console should be able to be removed.Then take out the screw for the plate around the steering wheel.There is another metal plate behind that also needs removed.Then there is a few screws going around the gauge cluster that need removed.After that the cluster will be able to be unplugged and removed.As far as replacing the connector you are on your own.Took me about 15 minutes and 1 beer to get that far.

Ok, I do have one more question. The cluster connector patch that I bought, do you think the wires will match color to color? If not how can I get a wiring diagram that will show me? The dealer said the colors mag not match, however not sure I beleive that.

I would think the colors would match,but if not what to look at it the position they are in.Color doesnt really mean anything it is the pin they are connected to.If they gave you a connector with flying leads it should be fairly easy.When you cut the wires off the old one leave like an inch of wire off the back of the connector.This way you can look to see which color went where on the connector,just match up the pin positions.Also if it is flying leads I would suggest that you soldier and tape the connections.If you do not have the tools to soldier at least use connectors that have some type of silicone or grease in them.It will be helpfull in the future to stop corrosion and other problems.If you are using connectors always strip the wire and twist then put on the connectors unless your using scotch locks.There are alot of connectors that say you do not need to strip and twist but in the long run thay seem to give you problems if you dont do it.

X2 on everyone's input. Here's the Complete service procedure just in case you run into a snag.
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the instrument cluster using the procedures outlined in the appropriate servicemanual.
  3. Inspect the male terminals of pins 1 & 2 on the instrument cluster connector labeled CNB (See Figure 1). The oxidation will appear as gray or black lines or marks on the terminals. If any signs of oxidation are present, remove them by gently scraping the terminals with a small flat bladed screw driver until the oxidation is gone. Use of a magnifying glass may be helpful (See Figure 2). Use caution when performing this operation. Do not apply excessive force to the terminals to avoid bending them or damaging the cluster or terminals. Do not use a sharp tool, knife or sand paper, which could remove the protective plating from the terminals. Do not use any cleaner other than p/n 04856975. Other chemical cleaners could damage the instrument cluster.
  4. Clean the male terminals with Electrical Contact cleaner, p/n 04856975. Apply the cleaner sparingly holding the cluster with the connector facing down to avoid excessive amount of cleaner from entering the cluster.
  5. Remove the green cluster connector from the bracket.
  6. Using wire cutters, remove the instrument cluster harness connector from the harness. Remove only the connector containing the BUS circuit (See Figure 1). This connector is labeled CBA on the cluster. Cut the wires as close to the insulator as possible.
  7. The new connector must be soldered onto the harness. This operation requires a technician who is skilled at soldering to avoid a cold solder joint. Position the harness and align the wires with the patch harness, matching the color codes match the main wire colors. NOTE: THE XJ INSTRUMENT PANEL CONTAINS ONE MORE CIRCUIT IN THIS CONNECTOR THAN THE TJ. CUT THE UNUSED WIRE CLOSE TO THE CONNECTOR ON TJ MODELS.
  8. Stagger cut the main harness and patch harness wires so that the solder joints will be 1/2 inch apart. Remove 1/2 inch of insulation from the wires. The new harness will have a dark blue with no tracer. This will mate with a dark blue wire with a green tracer on TJ and with a dark blue wire with a white tracer on XJ.
  9. Slide a piece of heat shrink tubing over the wires and twist the wires together for each respective circuit.
  10. Solder each circuit using rosin core solder. Be sure to heat the wire enough to allow the solder to melt when it comes in contact with wire. Do not use acid core solder.
  11. Position the heat shrink tubing over the solder joints and shrink the tubing using a heat gun.
  12. Install the connector to the bracket.
  13. Install the instrument cluster.
  14. Connect the battery cable.
  15. Verify correct operation of the cluster.
80bbf45a-1.gif

tj880217-1.gif
INSTRUMENT CLUSTER - C1CAVCIRCUITFUNCTION1D2 20WT/BKCCD BUS (-)2D1 20VT/BRCCD BUS (+)3C81 20LB/WT*REAR WINDOW DEFOGGER RELAY CONTROL4C80 20DB/LG*REAR WINDOW DEGOGGER SWITCH SENSE5G107 20BK/RD4WD SENSE6L60 18TNRIGHT TURN SIGNAL7G106 20BK/WTFULL TIME 4WD INDICATOR8G26 20LBKEY-IN SWITCH SENSE9Z2 18BK/LGGROUND10G10 20LG/RDSEAT BELT SWITCH SENSE

tj880221-1.gif
INSTRUMENT CLUSTER - C2CAVCIRCUITFUNCTION1L7 18BK/YLTAIL, LICENSE, SIDE MARKER LAMPS2G99 20GY/WTRED BRAKE WARNING LAMP DRIVER3E2 20ORFUSED PANEL LAMP DIMMER SWITCH SIGNAL4G19 20LG/ORABS WARNING LAMP DRIVER5G34 16RD/GYHIGH BEAM INDICATOR DRIVER6Z2 18BK/LGGROUND7--8G5 20DB/WTFUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT (RUN/START)9M1 20PK/WTFUSED B (+)10L61 18GYLEFT TURN SIGNAL

Napa or Carquest will have a similar electrical contact cleaner. A dealer would have it too but it might be expensive.

Thanks again. I called the dealer and they wanted $9.00 for the cleaner...OUCH. I will take your advise and pick up from a local Napa or Carquest strore!

Back