87' yj won't start now.....

Pcoz88

I changed my battery out to a optima,anyway I had to pull hard on tha postive cable to get it to reach the battery.Now the starter will not turn over.I have power to lights.When I turn the key to start it the brake light comes on the dash display.Any suggestions?Any and all would be help full.Thank-you.
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

You probably pulled the wire out of its connector on the starter solenoid! The brake light should come on when when the key is turned on then go out.[addsig]

make sure ur starter relay is good too.and all the wires have a proper connection.that happend to my 89 yj and that was the problem.[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE> I had to pull hard on tha postive cable to get it to reach the battery </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE> definitely sounds like you pulled the connection off the starter.

[addsig]

Thank-you one and all for all the info.Cable to starter looks like its still connected.Been to cold outside to work on it.-6 below this moring.i think its about 15 now.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

if the wire wasn't pulled out of the connector at the starter, check to make sure the connector didn't

rotate on its mounting point when you were "stretching"
image-missing.png
it. It may have shorted to ground if it did...

Also check if a previously worn area on the wire shorted to ground. If all else fails, replace the cable

and see whan happens.

Ummm, just reread your post to make sure I was on the right track and I thought of something... Was the

battery fully charged when you bought it? If it had been sitting a while it may have lost its charge, it would

have enough to light the lights, but not to turn it over. Try hooking it up to a charger overnight. Or,

jumpstart it and drive her around for a while.

Cooper.[addsig]

I ck wires at solnoid,ok.Battery reading 12.5 volts,that should be enough?Still will not turn over.Thanks for all your help everybody!!!!!!![addsig]

Take it from experience, 99% of the time when you work on something and it still don't work it's usually something you done while fixing it. I'm with the other guys here. Double check the starting circuit. On an 87 12.5 volts should be enough to crank it. You may want to check the fuse, pulling on the cable may have shorted it out when youconnected the battery. Also check relay and you can use a test light to check for voltage at the relay and at the starter. If, before you changed the battery you cranked the engine for an extremely long time you could have shot the starter solenoid. Just my .02 worth. Hope it helps.[addsig]

Back