Paint?

Did they make 1/2 doors for the Islander specifically?
IMHO grey goes well with yellow.
Looks good so far

So far so good. The only Wrangler models I decided to buy were an Islander or a Sahara. The Islanders were few and far between so I found a good deal on a Sahara. IMO good choice on keeping the Islander model original. 8)

Did they make 1/2 doors for the Islander specifically?
IMHO grey goes well with yellow.
Looks good so far

Yes they did make 1/2 doos for the islander i just picked them up today w/ the full top and hardeware for $275 i am haveing a problem with the half doors fitting though i dont know if the hinges need moved or what but the door on the passanger side wont shut

Just loosen the hinge bolts on the tub and carefully close the door. It should align or at least be close. Then tighten the hinge bolts. Do it S-L-O-W-L-Y. Jeeps flex so the replacement door might need a little tweaking.

Personally, i would retain the original paint and decals as it is getting rare to find now a days to find those islander Jeeps with the original decals. If it that paint looks as good as it does in the pic. i would suggest a good coat of a clear coat to bring it back to life. Rattle can paint jobs are not easy to work with since they leave a trail of overspray as you do every pass on the surface and the final paint job. In the end it will look real cheap and unprofessional IMO. The only good looking paint job's i've ever seen out there out of a rattle can are the ones painted with a camouflage pattern and the solid dark olive green thats either a flat or matte finish, since it's a dull finish, you don't see the overspray as much if any.. I think the current yellow paint color gives it a good compliment with the black and the original decals and makes the entire Jeep just pop like a big rig. I agree that if you decide to paint it yourself, your better off investing on a HVLP paint gun and a compressor that will support the CFM demands for the paint gun to function and perform properly to get the optimum results on your project. I've painted several of my personnal cars from the past including airbrushing the flames and different themes and the most important part of the process is preparation work. You can be the best painter but if you have a shotty prep work, the whole thing goes with it. Just my opinion.

i agree with this post. i am a painter, and if you use rattle cans your consistency with not be near anything you want. and also you preparation is the most important steps you will make. maybe read up, get some friendly help and also have fun.

I am a painter that works at a very good shop on the west side of indy. Let me know if you have any questions.

yeah that probably was me i live in auburn what jeep do you have?

Well, it's a blue 84 CJ7. I was driving it last year, but then I decided to work on it. It should be ready to roll (figuratively) in a week or so.

Look for the blue CJ7. If it's loud, chirps around corners, has no front bumper and a goofy looking guy driving, it'll probably be me.

islandguy89 said:
ok guys i want to paint my jeep i dont have an air compressor so i think that i am going to use spray cans what do you think do you have any tips or ideas or anything a lot of people have told me to keep it looking like an ISLANDER but i dont think that i want to what do you think?

Man that thing is sweetttttt

Back