Bench seat in the front of a 04 tj?

The Beast

Ive really wanted to get my center console out of the front and make the 2 front seats a bench seat instead, but Ive got the center console with a speaker in it, and an automatic transmission. would i have to cut out the center console up to the cup holders to make that work? help me out fellow jeep owners.

2004 wrangler Sahara.

Out of curiosity why would you want to convert to a bench seat? You would have less to hold you in. The only benefit I guess would you might fit three people in the front. Armrest? :???:

The center console in my 05 rubi is in two pieces. It separates just after the first cupholder. I am not sure if that would give you enough room or not.

I only have the front half of the console stops after the first cup holder,but as mentioned what about the E brake?Guess you could relocate it.

Alright, i kind of figured i would have to do something to the e-brake, but where would i move it to? is that a severely complicated process? please give me as many details as possible. i really want a bench seat because im very wide at the shoulder, i need every shirt tailored to fit me actually so having regular seats suck and become very uncomfortable after more than 20 minutes of driving or offroading, plus i like bench seats quite a b it. so please, any and all positive info from suggestions of how i can do it, try to leave the negatives out please : )

Jesse

04 tj
4 inch fabtech
33 inch tsl swampers
superchip

Modify it like a friend of mine did when he took his Jeep to get rhino lined--he used a bucket...:p

yeah, ive thought about wider seats, but i hate the center console, I really do and ive always wanted a bench seat upfront. would it be costly and complicated to relocate the E brake?

would it be costly and complicated to relocate the E brake?

Costly - probably not, as long as you did it yourself.

Complicated - I don't think it would be that hard. I would probably buy a emergency brake setup from a CJ or a YJ (the pedal on the floor type) - like these, and then try and find a cable of the correct length to make it work. I don't think there are any how-to's for this, so you'd be on your own, but it can certainly be done.

The hardest part would be finding the correct cable, then adapting it to work with your setup. I don't think you'd need any special tools, however you may have to either weld on some brackets, or bolt through the body of your Wrangler to mount the e-brake pedal.

If you do this, take lots of photos - I'd love to add this to the how to section.

A quick search seems to point to using the bench seat out of a Ford Ranger - it appears that they are about the same width as a Wrangler.

A quick search seems to point to using the bench seat out of a Ford Ranger - it appears that they are about the same width as a Wrangler.

would i need to get new mounts on the floor where my buckets were? or would the new bench slip in? it cant be THAT easy! : )

As I mentioned before, I don't think there are any how-to's for this, so you'd be on your own.

I do not believe that anything will just slip in, but that's just my guess, I've never tried to do this.

Just a thought, If you take out the center console you can take that to an upholstery shop and have them custom make you a section in between the front seats that will allow you to partially sit on for the width your looking for. You may also be able to retain the original location for the e- brake if the upholstery shop would custom cut an opening for you to reach in and pull the handle.

Back