sweetpeet is offline Senior Member

Weird sounds?!?!?

I have a 1974 jeep CJ5 with a 304 V8. I'm having some sort of sound coming from the floor. its a clanking sound, kind of like something is hitting the the floor, right around the spot where the transmission is. I'm thinking that's it, but i'm not really sure though. any thoughts? ideas of what I can do?

SteelHeadz is offline Moderator

Re: Weird sounds?!?!?

First, check the driveline u-joints and the trans. mount along with the motor mounts.
    Confucious says: Don't eat the snow where the huskies go!

Turbogus is offline Senior Member

I had something similar last year, turned out an exhaust hanger bolt had backed out, used a polylock nut on it last time.
    Quick fixes are so named for how long they stay fixed.
    If you run out of gas, no matter which way you decide to push, the closest gas station will always be uphill and in the other direction. Corollary: The likelihood of running out increases when all of the nearby gas stations are closed.
    The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep.
    We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch).

Quote Originally Posted by SteelHeadz View Post
    First, check the driveline u-joints and the trans. mount along with the motor mounts.
    How would I go about checking those mounts and the driveline?

SteelHeadz is offline Moderator

Chuck the tires on the front and rear. E-brakes on and trans. in neutral. Crawl up under the Jeep and move the driveline while pulling and pushing the shaft and see if the u-joint has a slack between the needle bearing caps and the center u-joint base. Check each u-joint as you go. On the trans mount, you can use a jack to lift up on the trans. while watching to see if it separates from the skid plate/ belly pan. Do the same on the engine mount, just make sure you lift up on a solid surface instead of the oil pan.
    Confucious says: Don't eat the snow where the huskies go!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelHeadz View Post
    Chuck the tires on the front and rear. E-brakes on and trans. in neutral. Crawl up under the Jeep and move the driveline while pulling and pushing the shaft and see if the u-joint has a slack between the needle bearing caps and the center u-joint base. Check each u-joint as you go. On the trans mount, you can use a jack to lift up on the trans. while watching to see if it separates from the skid plate/ belly pan. Do the same on the engine mount, just make sure you lift up on a solid surface instead of the oil pan.
    ok i checked the U-joints and it doesn't look like there's any slack in the u-joints, i mean as far as i can tell it looks ok. i havent done the thing w/ the mounts but from looking at them they look ok..... o and how am i suppose to lift the engine with out jacking it up from the oil pan? and i know i cont jackit from the oil pan in risk of denting it. ok so i think i'v come to the conclusion that its not the u-joint. is there anything else it could be, other than the mounts?