towing a YJ

rdubya

I have a 95 YJ that I have towed in the past behind my motor home. I now have a 1 ton Dodge dually with a slide in camper. When I towed the Jeep before, I knew it was back there and thought about getting a breaking system for it. Now with the new rig I'm thinking I really have to get some type of supplemental breaking system to haul the YJ down to a stop. Are there any suggestions as to brand or type of systems out there? I had a surge break on an old boat that worked great is there anything like that or will I need to get electric? Thanks guys/gals for any help.

are you using a trailer or are you flat towing ?
you were kinda vague in your question
so Ill answer it both ways :scratch:

If your using a trailer yes you can install elect brakes
you may need to replace the axle to accommodate brake drums

If flat towing no
Also if flat towing I hope you remove both drive shafts
not doing so can overheat the trany/transfercase
reducing there life

You do not need to remove both driveshafts when flat-towing, it's perfectly acceptable to put the transfer case in neutral and leave the transmission in park or in gear. The owner's manual will tell you the same thing.

If you're asking about adding brakes for flat-towing, I would check out some RV sites for tips on that.

Sorry about being vague. I knew perfectly well what I was thinking ( I just forgot to put it in words) I'm flat towing. I have towed it for several hundred miles on a couple of trips with a motor home but now I have a truck and camper. Its just that when you need to break, it feels like there's a 3500 lb. block of metal pushing you down the road. I think camper world or other RV parts places have some type of breaking system, I was just hoping that someone out there had a brand they've tried and liked. As a side note when you tow a Jeep your odometer is disconnected and the miles will not show.

You can get an axle disconnect kit (works like the vacuum axles in XJs) that does this on the driveshaft. You can also get a kit for hooking brakes into the Jeep from the RV. They have both electric and hydraulic versions.

They do make kits to use the towed rig's brake system...but last I looked just for the hell of it a good setup was around $1500 or so. Maybe they're cheaper now, and I never looked into it all that much since my truck has no trouble stopping with anything behind it:D

Total waste of money and not needed when you can simply pull the transfer case into neutral.

Doesn't work for all transfercases though. Try that with an NP207 and you won't make it 5 blocks!

OP has a '95, hence no 207. And losing a 207 in 5 blocks would be a blessing.:shades:
Try that with a 242, 229, 219, 228 with front wheels on a dolly and it will run off the front of the dolly or just skid!

Yes, many transfer cases behave differently. The owner's manual for the 231 equipped vehicles also recommends against towing with either end off the ground. When I do, I'll pull the driveshaft of whichever axle is on the ground.

Carnuck, you forgot the 247 and 249. What happens to the 233? This thread has taken quite a tangent from the OP asking about flat-towing his '95 YJ.

Yes, many transfer cases behave differently. The owner's manual for the 231 equipped vehicles also recommends against towing with either end off the ground. When I do, I'll pull the driveshaft of whichever axle is on the ground.

Carnuck, you forgot the 247 and 249. What happens to the 233? This thread has taken quite a tangent from the OP asking about flat-towing his '95 YJ.

Just wanted to make sure no-one got the idea that ALL tcases can be towed in neutral! '95 could have a NV242

I have a 93 YJ and flat towing for the first time. I got putting the Tcase in neutral but what gear should I have the transmission in?

Back