Rims for the CJ5...

I am not an expert on the subject but I have never heard of them. Traditionally the 16.5 wheel was a split rim used on heavy duty (3/4 ton or more) pickups. Split rims are inherently dangerous to mount a tire on; during inflation if the two halves of the rim aren't married up properly they come apart under pressure, usually with a big bang and have been known to kill whoever was hanging on to the air hose, hence the cages on the side wall of the tire shop. Also, due to the heavy duty nature most spilt rims are going to have more stud holes than five, generally eight. When the big three went away from split rims on their pickups the wheels and tires were changed to 16". I know now days wheels can be of almost any height but back then things were very standardized.

My 73 Dodge 3/4 ton has 16 inch "split rims" (don't know if these are OEM or not) and for my spare set of tires I got some 16.5 inch "solid rims". I found, however, that the larger diameter tires tended to fit on 16 inch wheels NOT 16.5's so I discontinued using the 16.5's when I needed new tires. Most of the 16.5 inch tires were kinda "low profile". Also, the 16 inch wheels seem to have a larger bead area than the 16.5's. Newer 16's are one piece.

You might be better off using Early CJ or military 16 inch wheels - the tire selection seems to be better. Best of luck - John

IH used 16.5 on one piece rims for a little while. I had some on my '73 J4000 I scored from the junkyard. (5 on 5.5") I haven't seen any 16.5 split rims yet. My tow rig ('81 Chev C20 with 454/TH400 and 5th wheel) has 33/12.50/16.5s on alloys that I took off my '76 J20.

I'm just curious if anyone out there knows if they make a 16.5 inch rim for the 5x5.5 lug pattern.....

not the old 5's they were 15's the older willys were 16's.. 16.5 is more common on h1's and that's 8 lug you might be able to order a set... but i'm thinking not ome...

Ok here is the deal I have pretty good access to military 37x12.50x16.5 tires I wouldn't mind putting a set on my jeep but I need 16.5 rims for my lug pattern. I know they exhist.. I found a set on craigslist today, but they are too far away for me to go get

Back