front axle U joints

dzman49

I've managed to get everything unstuck and apart to replace a bad U joint. Now I can't get the old cups pressed out using a 12 ton press. I sprayed penetrating oil on, but that's usually fruitless. I've got access to a bigger press, but skeptical that that will do it. Do I dare heat the yokes to get them out? If not, other than new axles, I need an idea. Got to get back on the road/trail!

Apply a little heat to it and as you apply pressure from the press, gently tap the yoke that holds the u-joint needle bearing caps.

Thanks! I figured that might work, I just didn't want to mess up the axles with too much heat. But I guess they aren't much good with the bad U joints either.

You did check to see if there were any "C"-clips holding the cups in right?

Just checking, you wouldn't be the first to not notice them.

Yes, those were part of the fun of getting things unstuck. Along with the new U joints, I picked up a Haynes repair book for Jeeps. Without it, I probably would have missed that part. It didn't really get into dealing with badly rust welded parts though. They do mention wheel bearing grease during assembly for the outer bearing housing. I'm considering Never Seize in several places.

One added note. If heating the axle yokes, remove the rubber dust flange near the outer end of the shaft. I thought it was metal, until it became a black molten mass. Not a big deal, but now I have to wait for a replacement part.

Back