Odd Intermittent Starting Issue

cjkirchman

Hey Everyone. I have a 2004 Wrangler Unlimited with 69,000 miles. Recently a problem has come up and has become more frequent over the past week. Sometimes, the Jeep will not start. I will try to start it and I hear it click when I turn the key but then it will not turn over and the chime starts beeping and the gauge needles will jump back and forth really fast.

I took the key out and tried it again and nothing. Tried it again..nothing. On the third try, it fired right up. Then it will run fine for days and then the problem returns for no apparent reason. Sometimes when I am driving the "check gauges" light will come on and the odometer will flicker a little. Then the "check gauges" light will go off.

I've noticed that sometimes when the problem is occurring if I open the door the gauge needles stop jumping. Then sometimes it will start up fine. Other times it takes a couple times of opening the door or placing my foot on the brake to activate the brake lights to get it to start.

Once it starts, though, it runs fine. I've checked for trouble codes and there are none. I'm not sure where to start to look for the cause of this issue. Does anyone have any ideas or need any additional information? I haven't modified the Jeep in any way. Everything is stock right down to the radio. Which, by the way, has its memory reset whenever this problem occurs. The trip odometer also resets when it happens.

First, check all the wiring connections on the battery and the power distribution cables.If it checks out good, get your battery load tested.

Checked the wiring and it all looks good. Nothing out of place or frayed or anything like that. Looks like I'll take the battery somewhere to have it tested. Thanks for the quick reply!

Check & make sure the terminals are clean inside the clamp. Also, if you have an 04, how old is the battery? If it is the original it's time to replace it anyway.

Back