vaccum leak(s)

imagrits101

hey yall! Ok so Saturday i was takin my Jeep for a ride, and noticed a "whistle" noise coming from under my hood. First thing that i thought was vaccum leak! So i pulled over, and started checking all hoses. I ended up finding THREE. I found one going to my brake booster. I have noticed that my brakes are "soft", but they do not need bleeding (already done that) and the fluid is fine. All of the lines are good too. So, because i had that vaccum leak going to the BB, would that make my brakes feel weaker?? I have fixed the vaccum leak(s) now, but still really cant tell that my brakes are any stronger. I have new brakes etc. And this just started happening a couple of days ago. Any suggestions?

the brake booster diaphram may be going bad to test after driveing let the jeep sit for a littel and then pull the booster plug out of the housing it should suck air if its holding a vacum. If there is no sucky is probably got a leak in the diaphram and is loosing its vacum. This makes it feel like you have mushy brakes and means you need to replace it before it fails totaly.

sure it wasnt the guys next to you whistling ;)
If I was closer I would offer to take a look at it but Im 1/2way across the country

ya know 54cj3b it coulda been the guys!! hmmm, j/k You ever felt like traveling to SC? haha thanks anyways though!
cidd- i did try to pull the plug, and it did have some suction, but not as much as i thought it would. Is there any other way to test it?

Be sure to test the one way valve on the booster before you replace the booster assembly. If the one way valve is leaking back to the intake, it may lead you to beleive that the booster is faulty. Simply remove it from the booster and see if it's sealing one way and no restriction the other.

the only way is to plug the hose coming off the check valve and let it sit overnight then pull the plug and see what happens. Im shure there is some type of vucume guage they have to test this at the dealership you could go and ask them???

Back