Towing a TJ

Iaokie

Hi Ya'll from Oologah
Glad I found this site as I'm mostly new to Jeep wheelin
and will have many questions one of which is can I tow my 98 TJ that has an auto transmission on a tow dollie the way it is or do I have to dis-connect the drive shaft?

Put the transfer case in neutral.I dont think it is recommended on a dolly though.You can flat tow it that way.

T-Case in neutral AND transmission in gear for a manual and park if you have an automatic.

xt_master...I believe on the TJ, On a dolly If you were to leave the t-Case in gear and the tannsmission in neutral, you'd want to disconnect the drive shaft, or the transmission won't be properly lubricated.

Last edited:
Pull the driveshaft of whichever axle is on the ground, if using a tow dolly. Do not pull a Wrangler with one end off the ground with the transfer case in neutral.

Read the owner's manual, states the same thing.

I was thinking the same thing as BH but I don't flat tow mine any more so I was not sure. Years ago I had a bad accident (for my jeep) flat towing so that was it for me, went and bought a trailer.

Pull the driveshaft of whichever axle is on the ground, if using a tow dolly. Do not pull a Wrangler with one end off the ground with the transfer case in neutral.

Read the owner's manual, states the same thing.

Well I stand corrected then. I've got several friends with rv's that both flat tow and use a dolly and they both said they've had no problems or increased wear on any parts from not pulling pulling the drive shaft.

Back