Loose Timing chain

Pepe

Ok, another post for all of you experts from a novice. When I took my Jeep to the Mechanic for the fuel leak he said that my Timining chain had streched out and was rattling. I had asked him to try and diagnose the noise without chargging me an arm and a leg. I have changed a timing belt on a Chrysler LHS before but never a chain. Is it hard to do? Am I likely to get my Jeep out of time and destroy my engine? It has 117,000 miles on it.

It's fairly easy to change, butyou will need a puller to take out the
crankshaft vibration damper.

Basically, remove the fan shroud and fan (if still using a mechanical fan), remove serpentine belt, remove crankshaft vibration damper, remove timing case cover and line up the marks, remove the oil pan (only if you need to replace the tensioner, which I recommend you do), and remove the camshaft retaining bolt and remove the sprockets and chain as an assembly.

To install, unlock the tension lever, pull the tensioner block toward the tensioner lever to compress the spring, then hold the block and turn the tensioner lever to the lock position, then with the key in the crankshaft keyway, install the crankshaft/camshaft sprockets and timing chain (make sure the dots are aligned), Install the camshaft sprocket retaining bolt (80 ft.Lbs), and then reinstal the slinger, timing chain cover, crankshaft vibration damper, serpentine belt and fan and shroud.

Make sure you also replace the tensioner, otherwise the noise will continue...

yellow crayon is your freind mark gear and block if you done a belt you should be able to do it just use a chiltons for refference

Not to hijack this thread, but mine is loose too. Anyone know if drive gears such as Pete Jackson's are available for a 4.2L?

Back