Where to start with my JK?

odogg

I'm new to the Wrangler world. I've always wanted one but never really had the money with the military and school afterwards. I bought an 09 Sahara and have no idea where to start with mods. I want them but I tried google searching it and everyone has their own opinion of what to buy.

With the knowledge you members possess on everything Jeep, its amazing reading how helpful you guys are when other people ask for help, I figured might as well start by asking here first. I think Saddle Tramp said something about coil springs to someone else. Mine is an everyday driver for the moment so I still have to be able to get to work easily. I think in a year or so I'll get another one and go all out on my Jeep. I'm not really worried about how much I spend as long as its not anything close to what I paid for my Jeep. Any suggestions?

This is about as opened ended as "what turns me on when looking at women". To differnt guys differnt things, therefore so many differnt opinions on what to do first on the Jeep

Define 1st what you want from your Jeep and what you want do with your Jeep. Get a picture in mind ( Just check out some of the members rides on the forum to get an idea, a web search will get you even more), make a wish list then work towards that goal. BUT beware once you start doing mods on your Jeep it becomes a bug that will empty your special savings very quickly. Personally I would do a "Lift kit" & Tyres first

Enjoy your Jeep. Its the greatest fun I have ever had on 4 wheels

LOL, i agree with Andre. Most common starting points in a mod is a lift kit and bigger tires. As for the knowledge of answering questions, well there's more out there than the Jeep. If you have any other questions about any Chrysler products , shoot me a P.M...

"what turns me on when looking at women".

Thats an easy one.. a pulse :shades:

For your JK, figure out what the intended use will be, and be realistic, 90% street, 10% driving? One weekend trip a month?

the I suggest keeping it a comfy ride with money being well spent. Color matched tail light guards and 37 offroad lights are cool and all, but pretty pointless offroad, and on road for that matter. I would suggest some rocker guards as priority #1, poly performance makes a "mini boat side" rocker guard that I really like. you could just do a tube step, but it won't last very long. then some under carrige armor and some body armor. the couple JK's I have wheeled with have proved to me that the sheet metal on these models are not as tough (or thick) as the previous tj's yj's etc..

Then I would address the axles, gears, lockers, shafts.

then a budget lift, 2" maybe and toss on some 35" all terrains on stock rims.

If it was a trail dedicated rig, I would do the same, but instead of investing money into the axles, I would just throw some 1 tons under it and some 37-38" tires with about 3" of lift.

That's the good thing about jeeps, there is so many aftermarket products out there, you get to build your jeep to what you want and like! That's what matters the most. The only jeeps that are the same, are the ones from the factory.
Welcome to JEEPZ!

Thanks everyone. Jps4jeeps was probably thinking what I was thinking, lift first and then some under armor. I guess what I should have asked was, what were the first few mods you did on your jeep?

I'm seriously thinking lift and tires but even that already runs a few thousand. I just want to start slow because where I live, Harlingen Tx near South Padre Island, the only people who mod their jeeps are white college kids or white guys who just got out of college and have a job and money to spend.

No offense to anyone. Where I live its 90% hispanic and 10% everyone else. The few hispanics that do have jeeps leave them stock and to me they just seem bland and they stay off the beach for fear of rusting overtime. Pretty stupid. I've only had it a few weeks but after the first and second weekend we went to the beach I started seeing the college kids with lifts and different mods they made on their tj and yj jeeps and decided I wanted to start modding mine.

If anyone would like to share what they did for their first 4 or so mods that would be greatly appreciated.

what does being white have to do with it? I am a very rich black man?

I am not trying to run you away from here but check out this site: JkOwners.com - The Community for Jeep JK 4x4 Owners - Powered by vBulletin it is for JK's mostly and there is a lot of great information. Use search first, this is a offshoot of pirate and they will give you a hard time if you don't take a few minutes to look around before you start asking questions... :lol:. I do check the JK forum on a regular basis but always come back here, very comfortable here and very knowledgeable people!

Like I had written, I wasn't trying to offend anyone. I was simply stating what the reality is where I live. Mexicans have stock jeeps while lifted and very nice modded jeeps belong to the other 10% who live where I do whether it be black, asian, white, etc.

Thanks for the link B'ham Jeeper. I'll look into it. I guess most people here have their cj, yj, and tj jeeps modded the way they like them and are probably not in a hurry to tackle on the jk since they are happy with their current jeep. I would be the same way.

I like my 7 speaker infinity stereo system. I went to south padre island in south Texas today because it was really good weather and sunny. Two people stopped to ask me what size tires and lift I have on my Jeep and the answer was that it was stock. I decided to get at least a lift and tires in the next month but I google searched it and I found a lot of lift kits. Anyone have a brand that they recommend on either the lift kit or tires?

Back