New Jeep owner here

tiger9297

Hello. I'm new to the forum and a new Jeep owner. Bought an '02 Wrangler Sahara today. 59,000 miles, one owner and I know the guy well. He's about 65 years old, so no "wheeling" done in this Jeep. It's all stock, and in great condition. Heck he even had seat covers over the front to keep them from getting dirty.
I am actually going to be on the highway a good bit in this Jeep and was wondering about the wind noise. It seems to have quite a bit right around the windshield. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do about it?
Also, the stereo is not very good. Well I guess I don't know if it's the stereo itself, or if the speakers are just shot. Would buying new speakers work or should I get an entirely new system? I don't mind replacing the speakers, but I'd like to keep the stock system in if its a good unit. I'd rather have the look of the stock unit.
Any suggestions on how to improve these two items would be great.

This is a quick pic I took with my phone. Not great, but I'll try to get some better ones tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG00087.jpg
    IMG00087.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 496

Ooh, an 02 Sahara, last of the green & tan run but come from the factory with sailcloth soft tops and an overdrive transmission if an auto, got to love that. Welcome.

Noise at the windshield is due to the relatively flat windshield. The TJs have a little curve to them, where the CJ & YJ are flat, to help with the noise and aerodynamics but noise is part of the game.

I agree with you about the stereo, I like to keep the stock look. I would go for premium speakers and see how that goes. Remember, much of the highend sound gets lost when the top is off anyway.

PS:
My second though was do you have the rubber pieces that go on the corners of the hardtop? They sometimes fall out when the top is removed and tend to get lost upon reinstallation.

Last edited:
I have an 09 sahara and it came stock with a 7 speaker infinity stereo system. I would suggest installing something current if you don't mind the look.

It is an auto, and I was wondering if it had an overdrive. Thanks for the tip. The green and tan is a little different, but I'm getting used to it. I did also get a soft top with it. I'm not sure if it's "factory" or not though. I just got it last night, so I haven't had time to dig through the manual and learn about it.
2 more questions--------for now anyway:

-The top has a little "fade" to it. Is there any product recommended to put on it after washing to bring the color back and protect it from the sun? I was thinking Armorall, but wondered if there might be something better.

-This is a 6 cylinder auto- would this jeep have 3.73 gears?

Incidentally, I shouldn't have said I was a "new" Jeep owner. Growing up my dad had a 1965 Willys that we used to hunt out of. Needless to say, this is the first Jeep I've had since then, and they have made a change or two. :D

Nice find. I have always liked the Sahara trimming...

I am actually going to be on the highway a good bit in this Jeep and was wondering about the wind noise. It seems to have quite a bit right around the windshield. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do about it?
QUOTE]

OK, this is kind of difficult. The best way to keep the noise down, unfortunately, is to get a hard top. The Bestop sailcloth top (assuming you dont have sailcloth already) will improve a bit over the regular top, and the hardtop will reduce even further the outside noise, but there will always be some air noise (even with the hard top)

Also, the stereo is not very good. Well I guess I don't know if it's the stereo itself, or if the speakers are just shot. Would buying new speakers work or should I get an entirely new system? I don't mind replacing the speakers, but I'd like to keep the stock system in if its a good unit. I'd rather have the look of the stock unit. QUOTE]

OK, here is my best advise if you really want to improve the sound is change the whole thing: main unit, cables, speakers, and even speaker location. The stock jeep speaker locations are horrible for good sound quality.

Now, if you want to keep the stock look, you'll get the most bang for the buck by changing the speakers to premium speakers (preferably, Sony speakers, so that I may contnue having a job!!!), but I would change the whole thing...

Here's where I placed mine:

Main unit replaced:

DSC00176-1.jpg

Front speakers in mod pods under the doors:

DSC00174-1.jpg

This one I took BEFORE I drowned my first head unit, so imagine the mod pods with the main unit above...

DSC02247-1.jpg

Rear Speakers in wedges (6X9):

DSC02250-1.jpg

Subwoofer on the back (amp is in a fabric covered wooden frame under the driver's seat):

DSC00175-1.jpg

Here's the SW turned around so that you can see the driver...

DSC02252-1.jpg

Of course, mine is a YJ and yours is a TJ, but the speaker location is basically the same...

By the way, nothing drowns the wind noise like a TON of Watts!

Felipe

PS: What's with VinMan and his bmp post in all the threads???

I like the speakers mounted behind the front seats like that. Where can I get those enclosures?

Does anyone have an idea of a product to bring the color back to the faded hard top?

Try a little dab of some stuff called "Black Magic". It's a silicone based product marketed to make tires look wet/shiny. Get it at Autozone, or the like. I use it on my Saabs air dam, rear spoiler, mirrors and trim. Like I say, just a little bit where it's not to noticeable to see if you get what your looking for.

As far as the sound system goes, I'd definitely start with the speakers. Even the best electronics sound lousy through cheap/abused speakers, and quality speakers sound good with so-so electronics.

Best of luck Roger

Last edited:
Welcome, and nice Sahara, congrats. Mine is an old CJ with a flat windshield and flat fenders. I welded up the hole in the dash where the stereo used to be. The sound of the 4 cylinders pumping out the raw 72 Willys horsepower's all the music I'm gonna need to listen to.;)

I bought my 00' a month ago. It's a Sahara auto too. Gear ratio is 3.73. Dana 30 front and Dana 35 rear.
You have 3 speeds:
32RH: The 32RH three speed automatic transmission was used in 1992 to 1995 Wrangler with 4.0L engine and it continues to be used in 1997-2002 Wrangler with 4.0L engine.

I too was unhappy with the crummy factory radio. I installed a Pioneer :

A couple of new pioneer dash speakers with buit-in tweet...60 bucks.

Tuesday (10-20) I'm going to put in a sub 150.00.

Audio results so far:
Yes, the jeep is noisy but the new radio and speaker upgrade is much improved. These jeeps desperately need some bass. That is why I'm putting in a little oomph. Just took a 3,800 mile trip with the new system and my wife loved being able to plug in her i-pod and use the little remote. I liked the Sirius satellite radio. I added another radio to my existing account (+8.95-month) and the satellite reciever was like 140 bucks. This transformed my driving experience in the little jeep. I cant wait for the sub.

The old radio was pretty sad. The speakers were marginal at best but I did keep the 2 speakers in the audio bar overhead. They are still ok but I can assure you that an upgrade there will come soon.

I will go to Ziebart for an undercoating in the next weeks to prevent rust and quiet the interior even more.

In a nutshell Tiger if you want to make a sound upgrade that is significantly better than stock be prepared to spend 250+ dollars minimum. That'll get you a decent CD-radio, an adapter faceplate and an adaptive wiring harness and a couple of decent speakers.

The poor old radio was pretty sorry in these things. Mine waffled between stations and I would recieve bleed-over and the sound quality was very bad. Combine this with interior noise and you get a frown on your face every time you turn on the old stocker radio.
Oh! and how about that handy dandy speaker balance stick it has. Boy oh boy doesnt that impress! I moved that stupid stick every which way but loose trying to get a sound balance I could deal with. Ugh..

Yea, the factory stereo is not great for sure. I would love to upgrade to a unit that has ipod capabilities and GPS map. The bad thing is that from what I've seen, most of these are double din and I really don't want to go cutting on the dash. The other thing is that I just like the "factory" look. Sometimes (just my opinion of course) aftermarket stereos "cheapen" the look of a vehicle.

Forgot to add some pics. Again, quick shots with the phone, but it's clean now.

Attachments

• IMG00089.jpg
    IMG00089.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 2,545
  • IMG00090.jpg
    IMG00090.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 623
For your hardtop I'd use a product called penetrol. Here is a picture of small spot where I put on mine to see what it looked like, it's still in the storage building now, will do the whole thing when I put it on the jeep. Penetrol can bepurchased at Lowe's.

Protip: Change the stereo out. I swapped the stocker out for a Sony Drive-S MP3/WMA headunit the first day I had my YJ. Even on stock speakers it made a WORLD of difference. I then replaced the stock domebar speakers with a set of Alpine S-series. Dash speakers will follow but I'm probably just going to disconnect them and use some modpods with new 6" speakers under the dash. You can only get so much out of 4x6's. The more round a speaker is, the better.

I like the speakers mounted behind the front seats like that. Where can I get those enclosures?
QUOTE]

You can buy them from Quadratec or Crutchfields.

Protip: Change the stereo out. I swapped the stocker out for a Sony Drive-S MP3/WMA headunit the first day I had my YJ. Even on stock speakers it made a WORLD of difference. I then replaced the stock domebar speakers with a set of Alpine S-series. Dash speakers will follow but I'm probably just going to disconnect them and use some modpods with new 6" speakers under the dash. You can only get so much out of 4x6's. The more round a speaker is, the better.

Protip: Change the stereo out. I swapped the stocker out for a Sony Drive-S MP3/WMA headunit the first day I had my YJ.

Typically, if changing only one side of the equation (main unit or speakers), you'll get more improvement out of changing the speakers for some quality units.

Dash speakers will follow but I'm probably just going to disconnect them and use some modpods with new 6" speakers under the dash. You can only get so much out of 4x6's. The more round a speaker is, the better.

Actually, the BIGGER a speaker is, the better: a 6" spekaer will have a VERY hard time sounding better than a 6X9" speaker (of the same quality). I recommend kick boxes and wedges on the back like I have if you plan on actually hearing stereo sound... Neither the stock location, nor the center boxes are good for this.

I replaced the head unit on my '05 TJ and the speakers got clearer, but my stock subwoofer got weaker. Kinda sucks.

jfrabat said:
Typically, if changing only one side of the equation (main unit or speakers), you'll get more improvement out of changing the speakers for some quality units.

I know, but money is a factor. I didn't have $350 to blow on the entire setup at the time.

jfrabat said:
Actually, the BIGGER a speaker is, the better: a 6" spekaer will have a VERY hard time sounding better than a 6X9" speaker (of the same quality). I recommend kick boxes and wedges on the back like I have if you plan on actually hearing stereo sound... Neither the stock location, nor the center boxes are good for this.

The Quad Pods are also kinda cool:

Select Increments 60402S - Select Increments Quad-Pod with Speakers for 76-06 Jeep® CJ-7, Wrangler YJ, TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

Personally, if I had to do it over again, I would go exactly the same route I went; kick boxes under the doors with 4-way polypropilane spekaers to resist water and dirt, wedges with 4 way polypropilane speakers on the rear, aluminum sub (I like the sound taste; a polypropylane or any type of plastic one would be just as durable, but sound taste would change, so it is a matter of personal taste which way you go), and the amp under the driver seat in an easily removable mount to keep it away from the floor (I take out 3 screws and discunnect 4 cables, and the amp and SW come out for wheeling; for LIGHT wheeling with no water damage lurking on the horizon, I can leave the amp and SW in and even if some water does get it, it will not kill the amp).

Of course, in my case, the entire system was free or close to it (the amp was $16 and the SW $21; the rest was free), so very little investment, and whole lotta BOOM BOOM!!!

I thought about adding 2 additional speakers (for a total of 6) for the sound bar, but they would basically ad as tweeters, and I can get the same effect by just using the DSO function of the Sony head unit.

The quad-pods are nice, but I still feel they lack a bit of volume to maximize the sound, and 8" subs are a bit smallish if you want deep base (one 12" sub will put out more bass than 2 8" subs). You could overcome the volume part with Fiber Fill, but they typically never bring enough material to make any real difference, so you would need to get more. I also dont see any ducting in these, which means the bass sound taste is different (and how good would depend on how rigid these things are; Typically, plastic enclosers are not rigid enough, especially for enclosed cabinets, and the sound suffers as a result, even more so in the case of subwoofers. Of course, since it is a Jeep we are talking about, it should be good enough.

But the space you will save is not so much compared to what I currently run (it WOULD make it harder to steal the subs, but also harder to remove them for wheeling).

42140add2lg-1.jpg

DSC02252-1.jpg

I do like the fact that they are more out of the way than the traditional wedge, as my wedges interfere with sliding the driver seat all the way back (not to mention my console gets in the way of folding the seat all the way forward!). But the down side is that you need to go back to smaller speakers for the rear. It's all a tradeoff... but I would still go the way I went

Felipe

I thought about upgrading the whole system with some of those speaker pods, but space is already at a premium in a TJ, not to mention I don't care to have any of my stuff get stolen if I choose to leave the top down overnight.

Back