Slip Yoke Eliminator Question.

signgrafix

I really don't know much about these SYE's. Is something I need to look into? I buliding a 78 CJ5, Built 258, AMC 20 rear with Mosier axles, Probably a 4 inch lift, and I would like to run 35's. It will run on the street and an occasional jeep jamboree or two. Probably will run either air lockers or ox lockers.

If you are running a stock x-case in your 78 CJ you will have a Dana 20 case which does not need a slip yoke eliminator kit. The Spicer 18, Dana 20 & 300 all use two piece drivelines that “slips” back and forth (expand and contracts) in length depending upon “up & down” motion of the axels. You can remove either of the drivelines and run on the other driveline without x-case problems. YJ & TJ (not sure about the JK) x-cases have a rear output shaft yoke that “slips” over the shaft. This yoke then turns the driveshaft. The problem is when you add lift the yoke can slip out too far from the case as it is not bolted to the case and drop to the ground. The problem here is obvious, there will be no power to the rear end but worse, the fluid inside the x-case will then drain out. The same thing will happen if you break a driveline too.

Back