Fantasy Jeep off road build up

signgrafix

This is where we build a "fantasy" jeep for off road only. We discuss right from the begining which jeep year and style is best suited then onto suspension, drive train, and engine/trans combo. This jeep will be taken on your more extreme off road trails. Although it is a "fantasy" build, it is still done on a budget, something your average Joe could afford with a decent paying job. For example, we can't go out and purchase a high priced brand new rear end, but we take one from another vehicle to use.

This is a somewhat selfish post. After I get my current jeep done, I will then start on one that I will not be afraid to take on the extreme trails and put a dent or two in it. But, it when to post gets through, it should be a pretty good post to print off and keep for those planning such a build.

Jeep . . YJ
motor . . 350 cid Chev w/EFI
trans . . 350 TH
axles . . Dana 44 w/ e lockers 5:38.1 ratio
TC . . . Dana 300
Susp . . . 4 link with coil overs (frt & rr)
tires . . .interco super swampers
Wheels . . . Stockton Wheels (power wagon)
and a cup holder:p

Cj6, 4.3L 4l80e 3speed stak case
Ride height as low as freaking possible, 110 " wheel base
4 link front with 16" 2.5 coil overs, 4 link rear 14" 2.5 air shocks
Front and rear steer shaved 14 bolts. Crane inner and outer castings, fully hydro
Tube frame
Bling blang Walker Evans wheels 40” red’s

And so much more.

4.3L 4l80e in a YJ for me too, along with maybe a 231/300 doubler. Spring over axle suspension setup with flat springs for a KISS setup and low COG. Axles, prolly D60/14B with lots of backspacing to keep it narrow.

Jeep . . YJ
motor . . 350 cid Chev w/EFI
trans . . 350 TH
axles . . Dana 44 w/ e lockers 5:38.1 ratio
TC . . . Dana 300
Susp . . . 4 link with coil overs (frt & rr)
tires . . .interco super swampers
Wheels . . . Stockton Wheels (power wagon)
and a cup holder:p

If it is strickly off road, why do you want to go with e-lockers and not straight detroit lockers? Just curious.

E lockers . . . In this silt lockers break through the crust and you SINK hard fast & DEEP.

4.3L 4l80e in a YJ for me too, along with maybe a 231/300 doubler. Spring over axle suspension setup with flat springs for a KISS setup and low COG. Axles, prolly D60/14B with lots of backspacing to keep it narrow.

I'll let you know how the doubler works out.. Mine's going in very soon.

I would go also with a YJ, but would drop in an oil burner (maybe find myself a wrecked HiLux or Fortuner down here and take out the D4D 3.0L Turbo Diesel with Intercooler package that my DD currently runs!) for more torque.

I would not go higher than 35" tires to keep reliability (in Costa Rica and Panama, trail rides are long, with plenty of mud and river crossings, and you need to drive up to 500 miles to get from home to the trail, as people from both countries get together and wheel in both countries.), and would probably step up to D44 front and rear with ARB at both ends. Would probably need to regear the axles to 5.13, but 4.88 may work with the diesel (not sure on this one). Tires would most likely be BFG KM2's, as they ride pretty good both on road (even in rain, which happens here VERY often) and on the mud, mounted on alloy rims to keep the weight down (not many sharp rocks here to chew them up).

For suspension, I would go SOA in the front, and lift springs in the rear to match (to avoid having to go with traction bars in the rear and keeping everything simple).

Of course, communications (CB and 2m Ham radio) and a decent sound system would be a must, as would AC (100* is a normal day in Panama year round!).

Jeep -- '95 YJ Metallic Blue w/ Tan Interior/Top
Engine -- Chevy 350 EFI
Trans -- TH400
T-Case -- NP231 w/ TH400 adapter
Axles -- Dana 60 rear, Dana 44 front
Gears -- 4.10's front and rear
Lift/Susp -- Skyjacker 4.5" w/ front SOA conversion, stiffer springs in front for the heavier engine
Intake -- Custom 3" diameter stainless snorkel
Front Bumper -- ARB Quadratec Edition
Rear Bumper -- Whatever will do :lol:
Winch -- Warn XD9000i
Wheels/Tires -- American Racing 15x5's in Gunmetal Powdercoat/40" MT's
Exhaust -- Hooker headers w/ 3" single exhaust / high-flow muffler and cat
Comms -- Cobra CB over the stereo aux
Stereo -- Sony Xplod MP3/WMA headunit / Alpine speakers
Nav/Media -- Custom-built JeepPC using parts from Mini-ITX running WinXP (or Linux) w/ Overland Navigator and a GPS antenna. 7" touchscreen mounted to dash. Audio runs through stereo aux for music/DVD playback. JeepPC chassis will be mounted to the rollbar to keep it from water.
Lighting -- Carr Rota lightbar w/ PIAA daylighters. Two additional daylighters on the rear bumper, for reverse.

Yep ... that's my dream Jeep :D

cj3b ,4.3 with sm465 trans, toyota axles, full body armor, full roll cage , 3 inch lift , locked front and rear ,4;88 gears ,35 inch tires
theres alot more I want but my brain hasnt woke up yet , and yes its not a dream its in the process of reality 85% finished

cj3b ,4.3 with sm465 trans, toyota axles, full body armor, full roll cage , 3 inch lift , locked front and rear ,4;88 gears ,35 inch tires
theres alot more I want but my brain hasnt woke up yet , and yes its not a dream its in the process of reality 85% finished
Guy at my local offroad park wheels a sweet 3b with a 4.3L vortec, just finished building a high pinion rear d44 for it to help with the short driveline angles. That thing is nice, wheels it everywhere like a little 4wd atv.
http://www.wa****aoffroadtrails.com/Fred & Ken.jpg

Jeepz's word filter won't let the 'chit' word show, so cut and paste and see if the pic comes up by inserting the missing letters.

Y'know what my only dream is right now? Putting my summer rims and tires back on! six months of looking stock! I've got the same size tires on my stock rims, but I went from AT's to a road tire. granted, they were free, and my steering wheel doesn't shake anymore, but damn....

YJ fram and tub
Cummins 4bt with upgraded turbo, intercooler and fuel pin
SM465
4speed Atlas
Shaved 14bolt front and rears with ARBs and 5.13s
42inch IROKS
4linked front and rear with 14inch coilovers.
108ish wheel base, would like to beable to keep the cell under the tub.
H1 3piece wheels
Full cage
Warn 12.5 endurance winch
CB and 2m Ham

Probably many more things once the coffee kicks in.

Bacon

Once it's back on the road I'll be living the fantasy.

1986 CJ7
4.2 258 Weber carb
Jeep T18 (6.32)
Scout TC 146 Dana 300 (2.62)
Stock Jeep Dana 44 rear end with locker 3:73's
Dana 30 front end L/S 3:73's
8274 Warn winch
4" Lift
33" tires

I forgot to mention since this is a fantasy build if I can't have my current girlfriend help me then I want Courtney Hansen to help build mine.:shades:

Well, since we are talking about fantasy here, I would just go ahead and sell the Jeep and buy one of these:

lm002-1.jpg

Although I would have to say I doubt the average American knows what this is (the Army did blow up one to show the effects of a car bomb without knowing how valuable a car they were blowing up!), it's probable the baddest production car ever built when it comes to sand, and probable the baddest stock engine ever put on a 4X4.

For those that dont recognize it, you can read about it here...

Honestly, I already have my fantasy Jeep, but wouldn't mind a few mods like a Cummins Diesel(i freakin love diesels) , 40" SuperSwampers with a 10" lift, power seats :D , Hardtop lol, power windows/locks, and deeper cup holders lol

Honestly, I already have my fantasy Jeep, but wouldn't mind a few mods like a Cummins Diesel(i freakin love diesels) , 40" SuperSwampers with a 10" lift, power seats :D , Hardtop lol, power windows/locks, and deeper cup holders lol

I would rather keep the Lambo 12 cylinder engine (this IS a fantasy, afte all!)...

2000 TJ

8.2L cummins
Pitbull rocker 41.5
110 wheelbase
Teraflex 6"
Rockwells
Stazworks wheels

Ok not really practical but here's one that is

Chevy 350 ci or a 5.7L hemi
Pitbull rocker 37's
Pro rock dana 60 rear and dana 44 front
Rockrawler 5.5'