'79 cj7 electrical help!

benjlever

I think that my horn has shorted out and is draining my battery when i turn the ignition on. The horn "clicks" when i press it, and the battery is now dead. I was wondering if anyone had some info on this. I have a column ignition, not orginal. also was wondering if someone could fax/e-mail electrical schematics for a '79 CJ. I probably should go ahead and replace all my wiring.
Also had a question about turn signal timing. Is there an easy way to increase the speed of my turn signals? as it is they are pretty damn slow! If you can't tell i'm a relatively new CJ owner, lovin it so far! thanks for any help![addsig]

just unhook your horn, check the wiring and fuse, go from there. its probably a faulty switch in the steering wheel combined with a dead horn.

the turn signals being slow is common. you can pick up some 'flashers' (technical name) which are like relays... they have a rotating switch inside that when it gets power, spins around and the connection is completed once per revolution... over time they slow down and eventually just die. they're like a couple bucks at a parts store.[addsig]

Check into getting a factory service manual. Leon Rosser or Collins Bros. may have what you need. My book for the '80 has wiring diagrams in the back. Is your turn signal slow because your battery is weak?( Caused by the horn problem.)[addsig]

Back