Went to LED Tail lights

baskett-2

Help!!

I installed new factory looking LED tail lights on my 85 CJ 7. I have everything working except I have no back up lights. I have a 4 speed transmission. I am trying to locate the Neutral Safety Back Up Switch. I think I have located it on the transmission. I see two clips on there with no wires coming from them. Could this be my problem. I purchased this Jeep and didn't even notice if the back-up lights worked before or not. I really would like to get this fixed. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I need to do to try and trace the white/black wire back down to where it suppose to go. I noticed it only runs down the drivers side of the Jeep and goes into the fuse pannel. I believe there must be something that needs to be hooked to the transmission to tell it we are backing up. Thanks in advace for any help.

Actually I can't tell you if the back up lights worked before or not. I believe I have found the back up light switch on the transmission but I see no wires. I know when I checked for power this wire had none. I had the gear in reverse and nothing. I am assumming that there must be a electrical wire has to go to the transmission and then back to the lights? I can't find a diagram of who it should be wired but I did purchase a CD from Ebay hoping it will show me something but there is nothing like someone telling you exactly what you need to do to get the bulb to work. This was not the type you plug in it had three wires Red, Green and Black. Of course on my side I had the Green, White, and White tracer. The green did not go green as when I did that the back up lights came on but stayed on all the time. So I know the White and black tracer is the wire that runs the back up lights not sure how it is suppose to get to the transmission. Thanks for you input maybe this will help or someone else can figure it out for me.

Last edited:

did you simply replace the bulb in the housing with a led style bulb? I am a little confused on what you did. did the back up work prior to the change.

First I would check to see if your getting 12v to the bulb then work my way back from there.

Back