do 304 parts work with 360 parts?

sweetpeet

I was told that parts off a amc 304 would fit and work on an amc 360. I mean parts such as: the water pump, valves, intake, etc... all fit. Is this true??

some parts do I think? The 304 is an old motor and parts are harder to find you are better off puting in
a Junk yard AMC 360 out of a Wag ot truck.

The AMC 304, 360, & 401 all share the same block per say. The internals obviously will be different due to motor size but things like the valve covers, oil pan, water pump, timing chain cover, and intake manifolds are all interchangeable. Flywheels, flex plates, harmonic balancers are not as the motors are externally balanced and vary for each engine size. For the early AMC motors such as the 390 I am not positive but may still have some interchangeable parts. I know the deck on the 390 was raised to make the 401 and the early AMC V8 heads had more of a dog leg bend in the exhaust port than the later versions.

X2, The 304 and 360 shares the same block exept for the internal specs. such as the 360 has a bigger bore and a longer stroke. The ignition components are also interchangable as well.

The 304 has smaller valves to allow more clearance by the cylinder walls for a/f flow.

360/304 are same stroke, different bore (because they use the same crank)

GM did the same thing with 305 and 350.

Back