4wd will not engage

freebird2

So, I just came back from vacation and tried to put it in 4wd L or 4hi & nothing is happening. Any ideas?8:coffee:

I had a YJ once that seemed to engage but NOTHING. It turned out to be a VACUUM line. There's avacuum line runs for motor to TC to front axle that will lock the hubs. If it breaks or leaks, NOTHING. I ripped it out, plugged the holes and installed Posiloc's.

Check the lever grommets to the linkage. Make sure the rod is not bent.

Here is picture of the linkage, not sure were to find this part, hope it's not bent anyone got any experience on this?

Attachments

• P1010527.JPG
    P1010527.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
  • P1010533.JPG
    P1010533.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 74
It appears that the factory pivot bracket is attached to an aftermarket relocation bracket. If the belcrank is loose on the bracket shown on the picture on the right , the shifter will not work properly. To verify, disconnect the linkage and see if the t.case will shift by you moving the lever manually in all modes. If it does, the problem is on that assembly that needs to be adjusted properly.

Looks to me like the bellcrank (horizontal rod) came out of the bracket attached to the tub. Have somebody move the linkage and it should make sense to you by watching the linkage from beneath.

Back