CJ7 Turn Signal Canceling Cam Issue

dave_denn

I have an 86 CJ that I need to replace the canceling cam (it was missing from the column when I bought the Jeep last summer) in the non-tilt steering wheel. I have already replaced the defective signal switch mechanism but the cam that I purchased doesn't seem to work right. Every time I install it according to the Chilton manual, it contacts the horn button on the turn signal switch and the horn sounds constantly. It seems that when the cam is installed under the locking plate, it has to be pushed so far down on the steering column to install the retainer clip that it always hits the button. There is very little clearance between the bottom of the locking plate and the button anyway, and the cam thickness doesn't allow any space at all.

If I remove it, the horn only works if I push down on the steering wheel. It has been suggested that I may have purchased the wrong cam and the one that I have may be for a tilt steering wheel column instead of the fixed one that I have. It may also be that the turn signal switch (although it fits perfectly and works) may be the wrong one and the button sticks up too far.

If anyone has any ideas why this is happening, or how to fix it, I would appreciate any suggestions. I can send photos of the new cam if helpful.

Thanks,

Dave

If the horn sounds after you install the last component which would be the steering lock plate, this would indicate a short to ground on the turn signal wiring inside the column going to the connector. The continuity should be open only at the steering wheel horn button. Check the horn circuit that may be hitting the ground or getting pinched. Take some pics of the components on the column so we can highlight some concerns for you. Welcome to Jeepz.

Back