CJ Anti Theft Question

Chuck Wolfsen

I'm looking for recommendations on anti theft devices for my 83 CJ7. Once the crook gets inside the soft top with a razor knife what's the best way to keep him from taking off with the whole jeep?

Hungry pit bull. You can always run a kill switch to the distributor so it won't start.

I would run a kill switch to the fuel pump if it is an electric pump.Other than that there is some good systems on the market that have motion sensors mounted to the roll bar.You would even have protection with no roof as long as kids dont think it is fun to stick there hands inside to set it off.

I like the pit bull with aids. They also make a adapter kit so you can remove the steering wheel. Can't drive what you can't steal. Then again, I am also the guy who drives into town and leaves the keys in my jeep

True dat...keys ALWAYS in. But that's the advantage of a small town.:welcome:

I had my stereo stolen a few years back.So I am usually concerned with removing the face so it dont happen again and forget about the keys and leave them in the ignition.

Ya Know.....after some reading what I'm seeing is "just make it less easy to steal than the car next to you". So I'm going the basic route. First I paint my Jack Russel brown and black and tie him to the seat...He'll double as the motion detector too. Then I'll go down to Auto Zone, buy a club...visible and slows down the theft process a bit. Then I'm thinking lojack 'cause when the inevitable happens I'll want what's left of it back. He can keep the dog.

9MM always does the trick for me lol. Just get creative. I have done things in the past like after my amp was stolen 3 times out of my old car I super glued razor blades between the cooling fins. About a week later I came out to a smashed window but my amp was still there. It was just covered in a lot of blood lol. I would have to agree with the kill switch ideas. One thing a friend of mine did and it seemed to work really well is changing the sound of his alarm from the usual beeping and wailing to a woman screaming for help. That one will get lots and lots of attention. It has saved his car from being stolen (Rag top mustang) a few times. I will admit though I have no clue how he changed it. He is a hardcore electronics geek lol. I will post it if I can get him to tell me.

Be careful about doing that however. I found out later that it is illegal in some states to do things like that. If they guy had gone to the hospital and told em where and how it happened then I could have faced charges. That was also several years ago though.

I'm looking for recommendations on anti theft devices for my 83 CJ7. Once the crook gets inside the soft top with a razor knife what's the best way to keep him from taking off with the whole jeep?

I would go with a killswitch that runs to your starter. Cutting of the power running to the starter is not a bad idea. Hide the switch somewhere only you would know; remember that the best place to hide something is in an obvious place. Here were I live the local car audio place has and installs them for you. Cool thing is they can make it custom to your daily "getting in your car routines". As in puttting the kill in your lights, meaning you have to turn them on to turn the car on. Or lock then unlock the vehicle. Things of that nature. Whatever the case that would be the best.

But the hungry pitbull idea doesn't sound half bad :D

Good luck,
Chris

real simply, do't put stealable things in clear view.

I am a fan of the tuffy console, put the radio in there, where the radio was, get a block off plate.

If you have a cb, make it easily removable to after a trail ride, it comes off easily.

kill switch hidden in a not so obvious place (under dash is painfully obvious)

Cargard stops the thief from getting to the ignition key slot.

image-missing.png

I bought a 2002 TJ last year and it was set up with the viper system.. now a theif can still get in and hot wire it but of coarse the alarm will sound but if someone wants something bad enough their gonna get it right.. I have metal lock boxes everywhere.. glove comp. , center cons., also a cover that locks down over my c/d player, and some more in the back for the rear speakers. truth is.... if they know what their doing their gonna take it no matter what you have in there... best thing to do is to put an alarm sys. on it and mark that you have it on the outside somewhere.. (mine has "Viper Protection" on windows) and hope that they move on to another vehicle

Heh... I don't have any anti-theft in my YJ yet but a killswitch is probably coming soon.

Way back when I had my '69 Mercury Comet Cyclone, one time I had to go to a really bad part of Charlotte to hang out with a girl for a few hours. That was a really easy car to get into and steal, so I took a big chain and a big padlock with me. I parked on the street and chained it from the rear axle looped around both sides of the diff to a telephone pole. The chain links were about 3/4" thick. The only way they were gonna get it was by ripping out the rear axle and dragging it to the chop shop or by using a cutting torch. Either way, I was just inside the house so I probably would have gotten out there in time to catch them.

The fuel pump switch is the easiest to do if you have an electronic pump, and very effective. They'll get about 20 feet before it cuts out.

i have 4 bike cable type locks, a tj insta trunk mounted backwards with a steel back plate and more keys on my ring than a high school janitor in my yj !!! but my ol man always said that locks are for "honest "people ! ( my aussie helps a little too LOL. chin it or leave it home is all u can do !

I have had my YJ over twelve years, only locking it maybe 3 or 4 times ever. One time I had kids get in it an rummaged through the glove box. No damage done. There is nothing worth taking left in it. I figure if the doors are open they have less reason to cut the top. Although I do have hidden kill switch to shut down the fuel relay.:p

Back