Good wiper blades for your YJ

Ruf-Rdr

Everyone has dealt with this problem and i finally got tired of dealing with it. Where can you get decent wiper blades for my YJ with the Pin type wiper arms? Answer Is : You can't!!! I tried every where all i could find were the conventional type wiper blades ( Anco, Michlen, all the cheap junk brands you can find at Walmart, which actual had more 13 in. options than most) dont get me wrong they can get the job done most the time. The main problem i have is their latch mechanism, if you can call it that. In most cases is a thin little pice of plastic that just catches the center of the pin and dangles your little wiper blade on your windshield. Bottom line i wanted some premium good latching, spring steel wiper blades, if you have ever had a set of Bosh Icon wiper blades you know what i mean. If you have not and you own a Yj sorry they dont make a set that works with the Pin type wiper blade. So i though about possible getting the wiper arms from a TJ ( or another model jeep that had the correct length arm) but this seemed to risky, and expensive. So i did the next best thing i made my own. If you want better details let me know but i think once i explain a few things everything else will be self explanatory. When i did mine i used Trico neoform blades but any Brand that will accept the Pin type wiper are will work. So i bought 16 in. Thats the smallest size carried, so what am i to do with 16in. Wiper blades on my jeep that requires 13in wiper blades? Cut them down. You start by disassembling the new wiper blades, paying close attention to how they come apart ( after all these blades are not cheap i got mine on sale for 14 dollars each) then you simple cut down the wiping blade itself with a razor knife. I put mine on the jeep and was able to gain a little wiping area because i was able to make top and bottom edge a little longer than the stock 13in blades that are standard on the jeep. I probable ended up with a 14 and 1/2 inch blade with the top being longer than the bottom. It is very important that you take into consideration the design of the blade (Mainly what hold the end all together for the Tricos a little carving of the end was required to make the end plug fasten on correctly) also i found that a little weather string adhesive was useful in adding the little extra that kept everything just where i wanted it. I have been running these blades now for 2 months with no problems ( and great wiping i might add) they see all weather condition. As long as you pay close attention to how they come apart you should be able to self manufacture them to go right back together. I was able to build my wipers in about an hour with a pair of vise-grips ( to score and brake the flex steel frame), a flat head screw driver (to remove the end cap on the wiper blade), and a cheap utility knife (to cut and trim the silicone blade and misc rubber wiper peaces to the proper size) this may seem like alot of work just for some wiper blades but i have now everything i was wanting in i wiper blade you can not seem to buy any where, these have a latch that holds them firm to the arm, the premium wiper performs 100% better than the cheap substitutes i was finding, and no more icing of the moving parts ( because there are none :)) If there are many questions i will cover in detail better what i did. Hope this helps someone

When i did mine i used Trico neoform blades but any Brand that will accept the Pin type wiper are will work. So i bought 16 in. Thats the smallest size carried, so what am i to do with 16in. Wiper blades on my jeep that requires 13in wiper blades?

The Trico NeoForm comes in a 14" too but Trico's application guide recommends the 16" for the 2005 Jeep Wrangler. I've been using NeoForms for almost a year now and they are AWESOME.

BTW, I just got an email from wipers123.com and Trico has a $15 rebate on NeoForms through May 15th 2010. They also sent me an additional $5 instant coupon "springreturningcustomer" (orders over $30). Not sure when it expires... Godspeed

Back