My first death wobble - tips on how to fix it?

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I had my first experience with death wobble today. I replaced my 2" coil spacers with some new 2.5" longer coil springs. From the way the Jeep is sitting, I'd bet that it's 2 inches or so higher than the spacers.

So, what's the best way to fix this? From what I understand I need adjustable lower control arms. Do I also need a longer track bar?

Any suggestions for control arms to match 2.5" longer springs?

Thanks guys.

First, i would make sure the tire balance is with in specs.. Next is to get your alignment checked.

I'm pretty sure that I need to move the axle forward some - it just didn't look right when I was putting things together. I plan on an alignment and tire rotation at the least, but figured I should replace whatever I need to first.

Am I right in thinking that the control arms need to be longer?

Attachments

• IMG_2411_coil_springs.jpg
    IMG_2411_coil_springs.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 550
Here's a shot with my 2.5" coils on the driver side, and stock springs with 2" spacers on the passenger. The Jeep seems to be standing alot taller with the new springs.

Attachments

• IMG_2402_coil_springs.jpg
    IMG_2402_coil_springs.jpg
    480.2 KB · Views: 949
Last edited:

To ultimately have the proper angle on the drive shafts, Yes, the adjustable lower control arms will help attain that and will also help attain the proper caster as well. That looks great Terry. Kinda looks funny with only one side lift though.lol.

You may have been able to get by with just installing the adjustable cam bolts on the axle end of the lower control arms on the front. Then adjust them all the way out so the bottom of the front axle is as far forward as possible. This is all the caster adjustment necessary when I lift a jeep 2"-2.5".

Early TJ's came with these adjustable cam bolts, later TJ's went cheap and used non-adjustable bolts that appear similar to the cam bolts.

I've installed new lower control arms, and had the Jeep aligned. It feels better, but I still have some wobble as I hit bumps on the interstate.

I'm going to try replacing my trackbar, since the one on there is too short (and pulling my axle over).

Bounty, do you know where I can buy these cam bolts at?

Do adjustable cam bolts do the same thing as adjustable lower control arms? Aren't they both supposed to push the axle forward more?

I'm not certain where to go next. I know that my track bar is too small, but that shouldn't cause my wheel to turn back and forth when I hit a bump at speed should it?

I know that my track bar is too small, but that shouldn't cause my wheel to turn back and forth when I hit a bump at speed should it?

I had the same problem when I hit bumps it would start to shake.New track bar problem has not returned.

I just ordered a fancy new JKS adjustable Track Bar. Hopefully this will solve my problems

Attachments

• trackbar.jpg
    trackbar.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 1,159

I run one of those on my YJ and I am happy with it (of course, YJ's are less sensitive to this, being leafsprung and all)

I have been going thru the same problem. I not only replaced the tires and everything else, I even changed the mounting location of the new track bar. But now some old ladies ins. is going to figure it out since she smashed into my front pass wheel at 65mph. I think you should get one of those and let her ins. co figure it out for you.

Trackbar installed and axle has been recentered

I'd say that my death wobble has become more of a death flutter, but I'm still having some wobble when I hit a bump at speed.

I've re-torqued the axle side of the lower control arms to about 100 PSI, and that took away most of the problem, but I still have some. The factory says 85 on the axle side, and 125 on the frame side, but that didn't seem to do it for me.

I'm going for my second alignment on Saturday.

For anyone who was following this thread, I've finally fixed my deathwobble problem. I ended up replacing my trackbar which helped, as well as my lower control arms (although I could have probably gotten by with just caster bolts). What ultimately fixed it was learning to set my own caster.

I took the Jeep to a local 4x4 shop twice for alignments, and it turns out that they set the Jeep to factory specs - 7.8 drivers side and 7.2 on the pass side. I never knew because I didn't ask for a copy of the printout.

I adjusted the caster to 5.7 driver side and 5.4 pass side - probably a bit lower than most people advise, but it seems to work great with my setup.

I have had the same problem and the fix has always been related to the track bar. First time with a Rancho 4 inch on a 03 Rubicon, turned out that the bushing an modified mount point were shot. After upgrading to a Rubicon Express 4.5 lift the system was outstanding. Work great on an offroad and finally after 4 years I got a wobble the other day. Sure enough the the track bar had loosened a bit and the wobbles returned. Also look at your bump shock I think mine is due to be replaced.

I've since fixed my death wobble. The trackbar definitely needed to be lengthened, so I went with a JKS adjustable one, which fixed 60% of my death wobble. The rest was cleared up by learning to adjust my own caster.

Back