Jesse is offline Senior Member

Time for a rear axle swap. Dana 44

So I think I am going to go with the dana 44. My question for you guys is what should i look for in a d44? & Is there a certain car/truck i should look for it to come out of? Also how hard is it to do the swap? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

Bounty__Hunter is offline Moderator

Re: Time for a rear axle swap. Dana 44

You need to get one from a TJ unless you're willing to buy the $300+ bracket kit and have the axle welded/installed. If you're already aware of needing the bracket kit, get a Ford 8.8 from a '95+ Exploder, it has disc brakes and the correct lug pattern.

I've looked into the 8.8 and personally I don't care for it. & How complicated is the swap if I get one from a TJ? Any idea how much the d44 would cost?

abe
    abe is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
    I've looked into the 8.8 and personally I don't care for it. & How complicated is the swap if I get one from a TJ? Any idea how much the d44 would cost?
    somewhere in the range of 1000$ for the D44 from a Rubi.
    it should be a direct bolt up. un glue the old one and glue in the new one. just mak sure the ring and pinion gears r the same as the front, or REALLY BAD things could happen.

IF IT DON'T FIT FORCE IT. IF IT BREAKS IT NEEDED TO B REPLACED.

Why don't you care for it? What's not to like?

It seems to me that there is some work required to get it onto the jeep, plus there is the size difference, also I've come to understand you have to do a fair amount of work to get it ready for offroading. But at the same time I'm sure there is a lot more to it then what I've said here.

No more work than any other axle that doesn't have the TJ brackets. The width is close enough. Ford 8.8 Axle Install - 1

According to what you said, wouldn't it be cheaper, and a lot easier, to just get a TJ d44?

abe
    abe is offline Senior Member

IF IT DON'T FIT FORCE IT. IF IT BREAKS IT NEEDED TO B REPLACED.

Any suggestions on where to look for them? I checked ebay and craigslist..

jfrabat is offline Senior Member

Keep in mind that TJ D44's have weaker axle tubes than the standard D44's, so I would go for Isuzu D44's from a rodeo or Honda Passport in the rear and Waggy front D44. Change bolt pattern to 5X5.5, rear disc brakes, and cheap to install (relatively speaking when compared to a brand new axle) and plenty of aftermarket support (and low gearing option!).

'94 YJ 2.5L, Sperwinch EPi 9.0, RE 4" Std Lift, Adv. Ad. SYE, Woody Shafts, Alloy Axles, ARB Lockers, 4.88 gears, 62mm TB & Spacer, 165A Alternator, Griffin 3" Aluminum Rad, Taurus e-fan w/ DC Controller, Borla Cat-Back, Flowmaster hiflow cat, PD Ignition, 19# injectors, Adj. FPR (42PSI), MOPAR cam, Safari Snorkel, 33" BFG KM2, 15" AR wheels, Xenon H4 lights, KC Daylighters & Slimlites, Sony sound, Pavement Ends Targa Top, Hanson Front Bumper, JCR Offroad rear, AtoZ Rockers, Rhino lined Tub.

Why change the lug pattern when the Waggy and 'Zu axles already match with quite possibly one of the most common lug patterns in the world?

Quote Originally Posted by Bounty__Hunter View Post
    Why change the lug pattern when the Waggy and 'Zu axles already match with quite possibly one of the most common lug patterns in the world?
    No, I meant you GET the new bolt pattern (implying that he needs new wheels, including a spare; already had a buddy change to D44's, and forgot to changle the spare, and of course, he found out in the middle of nowhere that his spare would not fit, and nobody in the group had his tire size - NOT a fun trip!)

'94 YJ 2.5L, Sperwinch EPi 9.0, RE 4" Std Lift, Adv. Ad. SYE, Woody Shafts, Alloy Axles, ARB Lockers, 4.88 gears, 62mm TB & Spacer, 165A Alternator, Griffin 3" Aluminum Rad, Taurus e-fan w/ DC Controller, Borla Cat-Back, Flowmaster hiflow cat, PD Ignition, 19# injectors, Adj. FPR (42PSI), MOPAR cam, Safari Snorkel, 33" BFG KM2, 15" AR wheels, Xenon H4 lights, KC Daylighters & Slimlites, Sony sound, Pavement Ends Targa Top, Hanson Front Bumper, JCR Offroad rear, AtoZ Rockers, Rhino lined Tub.

Ahh ok, then he would have the 6x5.5" lug pattern, not 5x5.5", which is what threw me off. BTW my Belize trip was GREAT, can't wait to get back.

So now you recommend I DON'T get a TJ d44?

for the rear, a TJ D44 is much better than the D35, but on the front, the only advantage is lower gearing (tubes are about the same thickness, and the newer D30 use the larger U-joints anyway). But, all the brackets will already be weldedin.

For the others, you need to weld and do a bit of fabricating, but you get a stronger axle (thicker tubes) and rear disc brakes